403 Forbidden

403 Forbidden

nginx
403 Forbidden

403 Forbidden

nginx

All You Can Eat

Trend-setting restaurants, Northwest cookbooks, local food news and the people who make them happen.

June 6, 2008 at 12:04 AM

Eating “ethnic”: What’s on your plate?

I’ve always had a taste for adventure, culinarily speaking, and today in Ticket I round-up a handful of ethnic eateries — among the many that make living here such a wonderful thing. You’ve got to love inexpensive joints that offer everything from whole grilled squid to chicken gizzards:

And chile-stoked Sichuanese cold jelly or, for the less adventurous, dry-cooked green beans:

Or spongy injera meant for wrapping other, more colorful Ethiopian treats, available for eating in or taking out:

And what about one of my favorite underappreciated foods? Like this garlicky Korean banchan — the many complimentary side dishes served here, alongside delicious kalbi ribs:

So, howzabout you? Which little ethnic restaurants are on your local version of the globetrotter’s tour?

COMMENTS

Posted by Linda

6:55 AM, Jun 06, 2008

Thanks for the great tips! I’m always looking for those kinds of restaurants whenever I’m in Seattle.

For German, try Feierabend, 422 Yale Ave. N., Seattle. It’s a German beer bar with the kind of German food one would find in many “beer bars” in Germany. Yummy!

For homemade charcutuerie, nothing beats Salumi’s but I also like the food at Le Pichet.

Posted by ts

10:07 AM, Jun 06, 2008

Fana Cuisine is our neighborhood east african choice. Famuly run, incredibly fresh and tasty. Just off Rainier in the Courtland Place development.

One of our mainstays for Vietnamese food is Tien Phat, on Rainier, just south of Franklin High School by a few blocks.

Posted by Angelina

10:39 AM, Jun 06, 2008

Pho 99 located in a little strip mall in White Center is quite possibly the best Pho in South Seattle. The flavour of star anise and cinnamon infuse the rich beefy broth and the tender bits of fatty brisket, soft tendon and thinly sliced flank steak floating with the generous amount of rice noodles make this a restaurant to die for. I would swim in the broth if I could!

The only patrons of this place tend to be Vietnamese with a smattering of Hispanics and etc, so you know that it tends to be good. If the ethnic make up of the patrons of a restaurants tends to be from the same place there has to be something about it!

Posted by Jennifer Cox

11:12 AM, Jun 06, 2008

There are so many fantastic ethnic restaurants in this area, it’s difficult to make a short list! Some of my faves, though, are:

Queen Sheeba for Ethiopian in Capitol Hill

Kauai Family Kitchen for Hawaiian in Georgetown

Hing Loon for Chinese in the ID

Ayutthaya for Thai in Capitol Hill

Kabul for Afghan in Wallingford

Posted by aBarker

2:12 PM, Jun 06, 2008

Pen Thai Restaurant

10107 Main St

Bothell, WA 98011

425 398 7300

This is one of my absolute favorite Thai restaurants, and very reasonable in price! Spicy Eggplant, panang curry, fried rice (their specialty), among other dishes are really all great.

Enat Ethiopian Restaurant

11546 15th Ave NE

Seattle, WA 98125

(206) 362-4901

For those days you don’t want to travel out of North Seattle, Enat has relatively good food, I particularly like their Enat Combo $13 which has a nice selection of meats and vegetables not to mention that yummy cottage cheese called iab.

Teapot Vegetarian House

125 15th Ave E

Verrry good vegetarian/vegan Asian cuisine. Meat eaters will not be disappointed! Try their house specialties. I like their Gula Malacca, a tapioca drink-like dessert with coconut sorbet in a coconut syrup. I also find their Vegan Tofu Cheesecake to be quite intriguing.

Provinces Asian Restaurant

201 5th Ave S

Edmonds, WA 98020

425 744 0288

A nice upscale Chinese restaurant…so far North! They’ll make most anything you ask for, even if it’s not on the menu.

Cafe Long

12517 Lake City Way NE

Seattle, WA 98125

(206) 362-6259

Hard to choose just one Vietnamese place (Pho Bac is good, so is Lemongrass and the well-known Tamarind Tree amongst many others, like Pho Than Brothers which my friends and I frequent weekly), they served good Vermicelli.

And don’t forget the Taco Buses! I really like the taco bus on the intersection of NE 145th St and 15th Ave NE in Shoreline. They make a good avocado beef steak burrito with caramelized onions in very spicy red sauce. Yum!

There are some excellent Korean bakeries, and some Indians and Vietnamese people who sell food to order from their home/cater as well.

Posted by Cris

2:49 PM, Jun 06, 2008

Jennifer’s right. Kauai Family Kitchen is very good. One (two?) block to the west is Las Sabrositas, authentic Mexican. YUMMY!!!

Posted by Ballard Boy

3:38 PM, Jun 06, 2008

Put me down as a BIG supporter of Kaua’i Family! Best ono grinds and the absolute BEST loco moco anywhere on earth and trust me, I’ve had my share!

They also have a very yummy saimin for anyone missing that treat from the islands.

Posted by Chuck

5:01 PM, Jun 06, 2008

The lunch buffet at Chutney’s in Wallingford is a hands-down winner. For $8.95, it is a steal of a deal. The decor is A+, the service superb, and the food amazing. There are always 3-4 curries, a perfect yet gently spiced basmati rice, delicately charred hot naan, veggie samosas, tandori chicken etc. There is even a hot “griddle” with veggies cooking where you can do a quasi stir-fry. When you’re full, you’ll always have room for the mango pudding — creamy with minced pistachios. Divine.

Posted by Hooch

9:25 AM, Jun 07, 2008

Why is ‘ethnic’ food used to describe different countries food? It’s subtly racist. So, if I am Croation, and I want to eat ‘ethnic’ food in USA, does that mean I go to McDonalds?

Posted by chik

12:20 PM, Jun 08, 2008

I love going to “Green Leaf” in the I.D. b/c they have authentic, fresh vietnamese food at a great price. If I have a hankering for pho, then I hit the “I love Pho” in Bellevue’s Factoria neighborhood. Really fresh food and clean.

Nancy, Hosyoonyi has always been my favorite Korean restaurant, and you’re lucky it’s so close to your home. But if you’re ever in the Federal Way area, be sure to check out “Cho Dang Soon Tofu” which is located in the Paldo World Market. The soup is even better than Hosyoonyi (if that’s possible), and they also give out nonstop banchan’s which are very fresh and addictive.

My two favorite indian restaurants in the area are Cedars in the U.district, but the large crowds and long waits often deter me from going anymore. But I’m happy to have discovered Spice Route which is south indian food in a clean very large restaurant in the Bel-Red Microsoft country area. Be forewarned that it is VERY spicy, even for someone who grew up on spicy food! Get the lowest level of spiciness, and you’ll still get a lot of kick.

Thai? Classic favorite is Siam’s on Lake Union, but if I’m on the east side, then it’s Chantanee’s.

I’m getting hungry!

Posted by Kevin R

7:34 PM, Jun 08, 2008

Here is our list of Lake City Way NE favorites:

Shi’An has food from northwest China. The noodles are handmade, and the mutton stew is good. Unfortunately, the place has not been remodelled from when it was a diner.

Thai One On for good Thai food

Dick’s for good ethnic American burgers

Finally, on the east side of Lake City Way there are several middle eastern and Persian grocery stores and restaurants that have really interesting looking food. I have only had gyros from them, but they definitely need to be explored.

Posted by Elizabeth

10:19 AM, Jun 11, 2008

Chiang’s Gourmet on Lake City Way (they have three menus: vegetarian, designed for the masses and Chinese)

Awash (used to be Fasica) on Edmonds off Rainier in Columbia City (their veggie combo feeds the entire family and their misir wat rocks) — Ethiopian

Caffe Weini on 15th and 115th — Ethiopian

Masala on Northgate Way — Indian (divides the menu into meat/dairy/dairy free)

Indo Cafe on Northgate Way — Indonesian

Panos Kleftiko (next to Sushiland which is always a good back up) on Lower Queen Anne — for Greek meze

Posted by Mmm

12:35 PM, Jun 23, 2008

The best pho I’ve ever tasted is at Pho Bac off Jackson Street. The broth is rich and complex, and the meat is the highest quality. Wash it down with their homemade lemonade. Yum.

Comments | More in Restaurants | Topics: Stuff I ate

COMMENTS

No personal attacks or insults, no hate speech, no profanity. Please keep the conversation civil and help us moderate this thread by reporting any abuse. See our Commenting FAQ.

The opinions expressed in reader comments are those of the author only, and do not reflect the opinions of The Seattle Times.

403 Forbidden