Sunday’s Education Lab story focuses on a mentoring program out of Western Washington University called Compass 2 Campus.
The main idea behind Compass 2 Campus? Convince kids that college is for them by exposing them to the idea of higher education — starting in fifth grade.
As part of the program, mentors give young students the chance to ask them anything about their college experience. Here are some examples of questions they frequently hear:
- Do you live with your teachers?
- Does everybody live together at Western?
- What do you do at WWU?
- Do you have a lot of homework?
- If your parents live in Seattle, why do you live in Bellingham?
- What do you want to be when you grow up?
- How hard is it to get into college?
- What do you have to do to get into Western?
- What if you do not have money to go to college?
Are there things you would have liked to know about college when you were younger? Share your thoughts and reflections here.