Senate Dems propose putting $100 million in tax breaks toward education (AP): A new proposal from Democrats in the state Senate would end $100 million in tax breaks and apply the money toward class-size reductions, all-day kindergarten and pay raises for educators. The plan is the latest in a series of proposals intended to meet the state Supreme Court’s mandate for more education funding.
Foes of CA transgender student law fail to force vote (AP): Opponents of a state law that gives California transgender students certain rights in school fell short of gathering enough signatures to put the matter on the ballot this fall. The legislation, which went into effect Jan. 1, gives K-12 students the right to use school bathrooms and participate in sex-segregated activities that correspond with their expressed genders.
Legislature considers adding UW law campus in Tacoma (The News Tribune): The Senate’s bipartisan budget plan calls for $400,000 to develop a Tacoma campus for the University of Washington School of Law. There has not been a law school between Seattle and Portland since Seattle University bought the University of Puget Sound’s law school and moved it out of Tacoma in 1999.
- Senate’s schools funding disappoints Inslee
- Study: Liquor privatization has shaped youth perception of alcohol (KPLU)
- Rules to limit marketing of unhealthy food in schools (AP)
- LA community colleges urge students to sign up for Obamacare (Los Angeles Times)
- Oregon and Tennessee consider guaranteed college tuition plans (NPR)