Seattle City Council prepares for preschool debate: Seattle City Council members will soon take up the debate on Council President Tim Burgess’ plan to make high-quality preschool free for Seattle families earning up to twice the federal poverty level. Many questions remain, including what the cost would be and how the money would be distributed.
Inslee signs immigrant financial aid bill into law (AP): Gov. Jay Inslee signed the Senate’s Real Hope Act was into law Wednesday, marking a significant victory for immigrant advocates in Washington state. The bill expands access to college financial aid for students who were illegally brought to the United States as children.
Study blames state lawmakers for higher-ed costs: Researchers from the University of Pennsylvania are once again pointing their fingers at Washington state lawmakers for the state’s increased tuition costs and financial-aid shortfalls. Their newest report examines 10 years of data in five states, including Washington, and concludes weak state policy often leads to low college completion levels.
- Where is the Netflix for college textbooks? (The Huffington Post)
- University student on Real Hope passage: ‘I feel more accepted’ (KUOW)
- Abortion protesters visit Tacoma school where dispute had flared (The News Tribune)
- Chicago Public Schools report higher expulsion rate at charter schools (Chicago Tribune)
- What D.C. schools are doing right (The Washington Post)