Student loan debt contributes to widening wealth gap (AP): Americans are collectively saddled with $1 trillion in student loan debt, making it difficult for many to start saving or investing at a young age. A 2012 Pew study found 40 percent of households led by someone 35 or younger had some form of student loan debt.
ACLU settles lawsuit over schools’ access to online accounts (AP): A Minnesota school district has agreed to pay $70,000 to settle a case involving a student who made disparaging comments about a teacher’s aide on her Facebook page. The student, a sixth grader at the time, was given detention after school officials allegedly accessed her Facebook profile and email accounts without her parents’ permission.
A year in the life of an undocumented high-school senior (The Oregonian): The Oregonian followed Portland student Sam Romero for a year while he applied to college and attained deferred action for children who were brought to the U.S. illegally.
- In a buyers’ market, colleges become fluent in the language of business (The New York Times)
- Family comes to term with raising a trans child (KUOW)
- Study finds many preteens have high cholesterol (AP)
- Tacoma Community College to offer new legal tech training (The News Tribune)
- Probe: Errors let autistic NY boy slip from school (AP)