I’ve had some e-mails lately about when our cross-country coverage would get started, and your answer is today. We have our boys cross-country preview today, with a look at Lake Stevens’ Joey Bywater. I’ll have the girls cross-country preview tomorrow.
One thing I like about cross-country is that every year, a runner comes out of nowhere. It could be a freshman no one saw coming, or someone who switched over from soccer or another sport. It’s a total results-oriented sport, so everyone has the opportunity to move up to the top. You can’t get stuck on the benchy. It will be interesting to see who joins the guys we listed today as one of the area’s best.
1. Christine Jenson, Mountlake Terrace, volleyball. Had 29 assists in three-game sweep of Sammamish.
2. Richard Oam, Jackson, tennis. Last year’s sixth-place finisher in Class 4A gets 6-3, 6-2 win against Shorecrest’s top seed.
3. Rebecca Myhre, Lakeside, girls soccer. Broke through for only goal in 39th minute of 1-0 win against Bellarmine prep.
Today’s top games
1. Tahoma at Kentwood, volleyball, 7:15 p.m. Big SPSL 4A matchup between teams that finished first and third in the North last fall.
2. Seattle Prep at West Seattle, girls soccer, 3:30 p.m. Metro schools square off as West Seattle tries to take out last year’s 3A runner-ups.
3. Nathan Hale vs. Lakeside, girls soccer, 4 p.m. at Summitt. Hale surely looking to get back for 6-1 loss to Lakeside last season.