It began with a night unlike any in the past four years for Franklin High School, with the Quakers volleyball team breaking what’s believed to be a 43-game losing streak on Thursday night with a 3-2 win against Sammamish.
Then, on Friday night, the Quakers football team beat a short-handed Garfield team, with senior Sylvester Nzekwe going for 175 yards and three touchdowns to convincingly win the Quakers’ biggest rivalry game.
And to cap things off, the volleyball team added another win on Monday night, giving them another streak: a 2-game winning one.
“It was a great week, anytime two programs that don’t do very well come out with a victory,” football coach Mario Bailey said.
The volleyball team’s victory against Sammamish was a bit of a nail-biter. The Quakers won the first two games, but then dropped the next two before rebounding for a 15-8 win in the tiebreaker to snap that long streak. Monday’s win against Lake Washington was more convincing. Franklin won the first game 25-13, and the only game they dropped they lost 26-24. The Quakers get started Thursday in KingCo 4A with a tough test in Garfield.
The football team heads to Ballard after last week’s win, their first after dropping close ones to Redmond and Newport to start the season. Bailey said his team might have been too pumped up at the beginning of its win against Garfield, but he’ll take that every week.
“I wish every week was Garfield week so we could come out with that kind of intensity,” Bailey said.
1. Lauren Barfield, Newport, volleyball. Had 21 kills, four blocks and three aces in impressive three-game sweep of Inglemoor.
2. Chris Batt, Issaquah, boys golf. Shot a 2-under 34 at Snoqualmie Falls Golf Course.
3. Makenzie Brandon, Seattle Academy, girls soccer. Had two goals and an assist in 6-2 victory against Cedar Park Christian.
Today’s top games
1. Issaquah at Liberty, girls soccer, 7:30 p.m. Eagles can take early control of KingCo 3A with victory.
2. Seattle Prep at Nathan Hale, girls soccer, 4 p.m. Important Metro game for Seattle Prep, last year’s 3A runners-up.
3. Mercer Island at Inglemoor, vollebyall, 7:30 p.m. After last night’s loss to Newport, no rest for Inglemoor against tough Mercer Island team.