Even with one last week of football remaining, it’s time to take a look at basketball. And in today’s paper, we had our girls basketball preview, which took a look at Auburn Riverside.
Along with that story, we presented our preseason girls basketball rankings. Auburn Riverside is at the top in Class 3A with a host of area teams right behind. Lewis & Clark of Spokane is on top in Class 4A, but Kentwood, Jackson and Snohomish appear ready for big seasons, too.
So here they are, our preseason girls basketball rankings (2006-07 records in parentheses). What’s your take?
1. Lewis & Clark (Spokane) 26-3
2. Prairie (Brush Prairie) 20-5
3. Kentwood 28-1
4. Mead (Spokane) 24-7
5. Jackson 23-4
6. Moses Lake 21-4
7. Mount Tahoma (Tacoma) 27-2
8. Snohomish 17-10
9. Bellarmine Prep (Tacoma) 16-11
10. Skyview (Vancouver) 19-7
1. Auburn Riverside 27-2
2. Issaquah 21-7
3. Seattle Prep 23-5
4. Meadowdale 26-2
5. Lakes (Lakewood) 18-6
6. Kennedy 18-10
7. Hanford 12-8
8. Newport 10-11
9. Auburn 8-13
10. Skyline 23-5
I’ll be back with the boys basketball rankings tonight.
1. Breanne Faehnrich, Liberty, girls basketball. Scored 24 points in Liberty’s 67-63 victory agaist Hazen.
2. Jeff Forbes, Federal Way, boys basketball. Led FW with 20 points in a 86-61 win against Mount Tahoma.
3. Monica Nevi, Hazen, girls basketball. Had a game-high 29 points in losing effort against Liberty.
Tonight’s top games
1. West Seattle at Mariner, boys basketball, 7:30 p.m. Good early look, in a nonleague game, between two teams on my radar this season.
2. Kentlake at Bethel, girls basketball, 7:30 p.m. Two teams that just missed our top 10 square off; don’t be surprised if either of them moves up there some time this season.
3. Skyline at Eastlake, boys basketball, 7:30 p.m. Battle for the Plateau won’t be a nonleague game next season, when Skyline jumps to 4A.