It is that time again, the preliminary enrollment numbers for the Washington state schools are in. There are quite a few interesting changes.
Here’s the story we ran in Wednesday’s paper, and here are some of the highlights:
• Franklin will drop from 4A to 3A and appears likely to return to the Metro League.
• Skyline, Issaquah and Newport came in with 4A numbers. They currently are in KingCo 3A.
• Auburn and Auburn Riverside will be back in the South Puget Sound League 4A North Division after two years in SPSL 3A. Auburn Mountainview remains in SPSL 3A.
Here are the current enrollment cutoffs:
Class 4A — 1,281 and up
Class 3A — 919 to 1,280
Class 2A — 468 to 918
Class 1A — 188 to 467
Class 2B — 88-187
Class 1B — 1-87
What are your thoughts? How much of an impact will these changes have on athletics next school year? Is the system as fair and efficient as possible?
1. Eryn Jones, Meadowdale, girls basketball — The senior guard scored a game-high 20 points to lead the fourth-ranked Mavericks to a 59-55 win over 4A power Snohomish. Jones has scored 20 or more points in every game this season.
2. The Kingmas, Jackson basketball — Kristi scored 30 points to lead the fifth-ranked Timberwolves to a 70-45 win over Monroe. Her younger brother, Brett, had 32 (with four three-pointers and 10-11 free throws) to lead the boys to a 68-66 win over Cascade.
3. Jon Morine, Mount Rainier boys basketball — The 6-foot-6 senior had a career-high 27 points, leading the Rams to a 75-69 over Cleveland in a nonleague game.