These names sound familiar: Grady Sizemore, Tim Lincecum, Mark Hendrickson, Travis Snider, Adam Eaton?
All starred at local high schools (Sizemore at Cascade of Everett, Lincecum at Renton’s Liberty, Hendrickson at Mount Vernon, Snider at Jackson in Mill Creek and Eaton at Snohomish) and now are in the big leagues.
And there may be more joining them soon. There are tons of college recruits from the area — many going to UW or WSU (list of top players here) — and some may get drafted.
I’ve only gotten a chance to see a few of the top studs, with Jackson’s Danny Oh (Cal recruit) being one of the most fundamentally-sound hitters I’ve seen and Snohomish’s Derek Jones (WSU) being a burly basher. Last time a saw Jones, he hit about a 400-foot homer out of Everett Memorial Stadium. I’ve also been told by sources that Meadowdale junior Chase Anselment has Travis Snider-like power. Snider was picked 14th overall by the Toronto Blue Jays in the 2006 MLB draft.
What players are on your radar?
1. Chris Viltz, Lake Washington, baseball. The junior outfielder hit for the cycle with three runs scored and three RBIs, but the Kangs fell to Bothell 11-9.
2. Nathan Bunch, Hazen, baseball. The senior pitcher through a complete game, one-hit shutout and had 16 strikeouts in a 3-0 win over Lindbergh.
3. Elsa Moyer, Lake Washington, softball. Went 4-4 with 3 RBIs and a home run in 13-3 win over Bothell.
Tonight’s top games
1. Monroe at Cascade, boys soccer, 5:30 p.m. Cascade tries to stay perfect before Friday showdown with Marysville-Pilchuck.
2. Jackson at Meadowdale, baseball, 4 p.m. Two teams D-1 talent duel in an early-season WesCo game.