Since today is one of the deadlines for schools to notify the WIAA whether they intend to opt-up for this next reclassification cycle, I was hoping we might have at least a preliminary picture of what things could look like by late this afternoon or in the morning.
No such luck.
Mike Colbrese, WIAA executive director, tells me that the information probably won’t be released until Monday.
“We still have schools that could opt-up at the end of the day that could end up tripping the whole thing around,” Colbrese said.
On Monday, you should be able to go to the WIAA website and see where all of the schools will be lining up, class by class. In the meantime, we’ll continue to follow any local updates we can track down.
Remember, schools who declare by today that they intend to opt-up will be held to that decision. They cannot come back later and ask to compete in a lower classificaiton, even if that’s where their enrollment numbers put them.
But, schools who have not yet declared intentions of opting up will still have until Jan. 15 to do so, although they will have to receive league, district and WIAA Executive Board approval to do so.
There are several schools that seem to be delaying their opt-up decision until they see where those reclassification lines come out on Monday.
Colbrese said that while the WIAA had earlier concerns that there would be an overwhelming number of opt-ups from 2A to 3A, leaving 2A with far fewer schools than what the association intends, he has been seeing more flexibility recently. He cited the Seamount League’s willingness to include a combination of 3A and 2A schools, rather than requre all schools to opt-up.