The WIAA Executive Board is proposing some changes in the format for the state volleyball tourneys.
Several recommendations were approved on first reading at the December meeting, with the second reading set for January and the third and final reading in March.
I’m posting those recommendations below. The biggest thing that stands out to me is utilizing a best two-out-of-three format for consolation matches at state, while continuing with best three-out-of-five for all first round and winner’s bracket matches.
It is also possible the venues could change and the goal is to have the state tournaments span Friday and Saturday only. Under the current format, the 4A, 3A and 2A tourneys are played at the Toyota Center in Kennewick and the 1A-3B-1B tourneys are in the Yakima SunDome. Each classification plays two days and rotate a Thursday-Friday and Friday-Saturday schedule.
The Friday schedules, where all three classifications are playing at one site, has been brutal the past couple of years. In 2009, for instance, Mount Si and Camas played a quarterfinal match that didn’t start until about 10 p.m. and lasted until midnight.
Here are the recommendations:
1. Continue with 16-teams per classification and combine classifications when possible
2. Continue with modified double elimination tournament; adjust placings
3. Continue with best of five sets (3/5) for championship matches, utilize best of three sets (2/3) for all consolation matches, consolidate all tournaments into two days
– eliminates play on Thursday (lowest attendance day of the current format), and
would reduce facility expenses (for the third rental day); facility savings would be
approximately $5,000 in Yakima and $7,500 in Kennewick
– adequate lodging would be available in both Yakima and Kennewick
– 2/3 fee would need to be negotiated with WOA (based on 2002-03 figures,
potential savings would be approximately $2,000)
Best of three sets (2/3) will utilize rally scoring to 25 points
4. Allow leagues, by league adoption, to utilize 2/3 during the regular season (will require an amendment)
5. Secure an alternate site for the 2A, 3A and 4A, if possible
Site updates for 2011: Spokane Arena (4 courts), Showare Facility in Kent (3 courts) and Comcast Arena in Everett (4 courts) are not available; St Martin’s in Lacey (3 courts) is interested and checking on availability
– 2 classifications can be played on three courts in two days (which would require an
additional facility for a classification)