There were upsets, blowouts and thrillers, and the quarterfinals are now set. Let’s get to it and recap this weekend’s prep football games.
– No. 5 Federal Way revenged a loss in the season opener to No. 4 Union with a 23-14 win on Friday and will play at Newport this week. The Eagles needed a pair of late touchdowns to secure the win.
– No. 2 Eastside Catholic continNued to dominate by beating Meadowdale 42-14 to earn a game against No. 5 Lincoln. Quarterback Harley Kirsch, as he has done so often this season, led the Crusaders.
– It took No. 1 Bothell awhile to get going, but the Cougars eventually pulled away from Eastlake for a 45-14 win. Bothell will play at Bellarmine Prep after the Lions upset No. 2 Camas on the road.
– Auburn Mountainview traveled to Spokane to face the offensive-fueled Shadle Park team that boasts quarterback Brett Rypien, and despite losing signal-caller Gresch Jensen to a first-quarter injury, hung tough, but the Highlanders pulled away for a 41-22 win.
– Newport won a tough battle at Lake Stevens 43-40, and coach Drew Oliver believes his team hasn’t played its perfect game, yet. Newport hosts Federal Way this week.
– Graham-Kapowsin beat Gig Harbor 27-21 thanks to Shannon Edwards’ 248 yards rushing, as reported by The News Tribune.
– Bellevue continued to roll, this time 38-0 over Sumner, and a TNT report has the details.
– Mt. Spokane absolutely steamrolled Wilson with a 52-6 win and will face league foe Shadle Park in the quarterfinals.
– Gonzaga Prep pitched a shutout in a 23-0 win over Beamer to advance to face Chiawana.