Let’s take a look at what some of the local basketball teams are doing at tournaments in Southern California.
– Bellevue: The Wolverines took on a loaded field in the National Division at the Under Armour Holiday Classic at Torrey Pines High School in San Diego. Bellevue dropped its first game 58-55 to Fairfax (Los Angeles). Fairfax is scheduled to play in the championship game later today. The Wolverines then lost 65-58 to a Torrey Pines team scheduled to play in the title game of the consolation side of the bracket. Bellevue saved the trip with a 80-43 win over Cantwell-Sacred Heart (Montebello, Calif.) and tipped off against Loyola (Los Angeles) at 9 a.m. this morning.
– Franklin: Like Bellevue, struggled in the first two games of the Under Armour Holiday Classic. The Quakers are in the American Division at La Costa Canyon High School and lost to Montgomery (Santa Rosa, Calif.), 63-58, and to St. Mary’s (Stockton, Calif.), 69-54. After beating Temecula Valley, they are playing Bakersfield this morning.
– Roosevelt: Also in the Under Armour Holiday Classic, Roosevelt rebounded from a first-round loss in the Senators Division to El Camino (Oceanside, Calif.), 67-59, to beat Mater Dei Catholic (Chula Vista, Calif.), 48-32, and San Ysidro (San Diego), 66-59. The Roughriders play for the consolation title against Mira Costa (Manhattan Beach, Calif.) today.
– Issaquah: Playing in the loaded field that is the MaxPreps Holiday Classic in Southern California, the Eagles dropped games to Montreau Catholic (Calif.), 67-55, and American Fork (Utah), 58-39, before losing an overtime to Folsom (Calif.), 58-57. Issaquah plays Saddleback Valley today.
– Redmond: Playing in the Gear to the Max Division at the MaxPreps Holiday Classic, Redmond lost to Veverly Hills, 70-62, and Green Valley (Henderson, Nev.), 83-72. The Mustangs rebounded to beat Lake Washington 64-44 and play San Bernardino (Calif.) today.
– Lake Washington: Before dropping the 64-44 game to Redmond, the Kangs lost to Cathedral Catholic (San Diego), 65-38, and Capital Christian (Sacramento), 66-38, in the Gear to the Max Division of the MaxPreps Holiday Classic. Lake Washington beat Bradshaw Christian (Sacramento) 71-23 earlier today.