(Jemile Weeks and Yoenis Cespedes celebrate the A’s AL West title. Photo by Associated Press)
I can’t believe what I just saw, to channel old-school Jack Buck. How the Oakland A’s did what they did is worthy of a book — paging Michael Lewis! paging Michael Lewis! — but for now, I’m going to present these tweets, all of which came in the last hour and shed some light on just how remarkable their comeback has been.
(Apologies, I cut and pasted these without getting the source, though many are from Elias, ESPN Info, and the San Francisco Chronicle’s Susan Slusser)
- Elias: #Athletics first team in history to overcome a 5-game deficit with no more than 9 games remaining on schedule to win outright.
- The #Athletics came back from 13 down to be #ALWestChamps. FROM ELIAS: Only 2 teams have overcome bigger deficits to finish in 1st.
- Rangers spent 178 days in first. White Sox 126 days. Chicago out of the playoffs. Texas into single-game knockout Wild Card.
- a’s rally from 13 back, & from 5 back w/ 9 to play. incredible. ’78 yanks had huge stars, ’51 giants had signs.
- #Athletics have spent exactly one day in sole possession of first place – today
- The A’s won 74 games last year, TRADED THEIR TWO BEST STARTERS FOR PROSPECTS, & won 94 games and the AL West. But sure, Moneyball’s a fad.
- Amazing. RT: @AmPressAlexH: The A’s and Astros were both 22-31 on June 1. Just let that sink in and explode your brain.
- The A’s were 100 to 1 to win the AL West at the All Star break at the Las Vegas Hotel (via @golfodds)
- A’s 82-46 w/ Cespedes starting, 12-22 when not starting. Tool shed everyone saw. Background work on makeup, intelligence astute, brilliant
- #Rangers led AL West 178 days. #Athletics only lead today. That’s like NFL team winning time of possession 59 minutes to 1, and losing game
- Oakland is the only post-season participant of the 10 MLB clubs who never had a starter get to 120+ pitches in 2012 @baseballpro