Follow us:

Husky Football Blog

The latest news and analysis on the Montlake Dawgs.

August 29, 2007 at 7:12 PM

Davenport not on trip

The Washington Huskies have landed in Syracuse, but cornerback Byron Davenport isn’t with them.
Davenport hurt his hamstring the second day of fall camp and has practiced little since then, and while he improved enough to practice a few days earlier this week, he didn’t get the okay to make the trip.
The Huskies have 72 players on the trip, with the travel roster expanded for a non-conference game.
Others who didn’t make the trip include PK Erik Folk (back) and RB Brandon Yakaboski (concussion), who have also been bothered by injuries.
Among those who did make the trip is true freshman cornerback Marquis Persley, who could potentially be forced into action now with the team having so little depth at cornerback.
The Huskies will have just five players listed as cornerbacks available for the Syracuse game — starters Roy Lewis and Vonzell McDowell Jr., backups Matt Mosley and Desmond Davis, and Persley.
Davenport had been listed as having a “60 percent chance” at making the trip on Tuesday by UW coach Tyrone Willingham but apparently the 40 percent won out.
He is one of three cornerbacks who began the year with the Huskies who won’t play at Syracuse — Cory Nicol quit the team earlier this week due to a groin injury while Jordan Murchison is essentially suspended while dealing with legal issues.

Comments

COMMENTS

No personal attacks or insults, no hate speech, no profanity. Please keep the conversation civil and help us moderate this thread by reporting any abuse. See our Commenting FAQ.



The opinions expressed in reader comments are those of the author only, and do not reflect the opinions of The Seattle Times.


The Seattle Times

The door is closed, but it's not locked.

Take a minute to subscribe and continue to enjoy The Seattle Times for as little as 99 cents a week.

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited seattletimes.com content access is included with most subscriptions.

Subscriber login ►
The Seattle Times

To keep reading, you need a subscription upgrade.

We hope you have enjoyed your complimentary access. For unlimited seattletimes.com access, please upgrade your digital subscription.

Call customer service at 1.800.542.0820 for assistance with your upgrade or questions about your subscriber status.

The Seattle Times

To keep reading, you need a subscription.

We hope you have enjoyed your complimentary access. Subscribe now for unlimited access!

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited seattletimes.com content access is included with most subscriptions.

Activate Subscriber Account ►