Follow us:

Husky Football Blog

The latest news and analysis on the Montlake Dawgs.

November 12, 2010 at 4:17 PM

Friday afternoon news and notes — Apple Cup tickets, surveys, and more

Dishing out a few answers and notes before heading into the weekend. …
— Some of you have asked about a survey that has recently been sent to some UW fans regarding pricing in the renovated Husky Stadium. Here’s the official response from UW on what that is about:
“PricewaterhouseCoopers was engaged by the University of Washington athletic department to evaluate the market demand for UW premium and donor seating for the renovated Husky Stadium. (Last week) they sent an internet-based survey to measure support for and sensitivty to per-seat donation requirements for potential Tyee Club sections after renovation. The analysis for PWC will be used to help ICA determine donor levels and fan amenities. This survey was sent to several thousand fans, ranging from Tyee Club members, to season ticket holders, and individual-game ticket purchasers. The analysis will be carefully reviewed and considered for pricing levels which meet fans’ expectations from an experience standpoint, and also achieve our revenue goals necessary to fund the project. It’s important to note that no decisions on pricing have been made, and this is just another step in the process to gather thorough feedback from our fanbase.”
— Some of you have also asked about the TV revenue for the UCLA game. This is a tricky one for a couple reasons that doesn’t have one clear answer yet:

1, Technically, the way the TV money is dished out is that it all goes to the conference, which then pays it out based on the revenue sharing formula and how many appearances each school had that season on each network, etc. The two participating teams get 55 percent and the rest of the conference shares 45 percent of each game. So the school says it won’t have an exact figure for this game until after all that comes in.
2, When UW moved this game, it did so with guarantee that it would get six “units” with ABC/ESPN this season — two units is a nationally televised game, one is a regional. One of those national games came against Nebraska and UW said then it would get about $600,000 for that.
3, Also worth keeping in mind that moving the game to Thursday was also done as part of a broader effort to increase exposure for the program and enhance its relationship with ESPN — at the time, there was the hope of a GameDay appearance.
— There are indeed plenty of tickets left for the Apple Cup. The UW reports that in years the game is in Pullman that it gets 4,000 plus 800 for students. Of the 4,000, it has sold 1,629 (student tickets have not gone on sale yet). In 2008 UW sold 3,431 of its allotment and in 2006 3,146. So if that number holds, sales will be down a bit.
— Finally, the season-ticket number passed along the other day actually wasn’t the most recent. UW has sold 44,593 season tickets for this year (not including students). That’s up from 40,600 in 2009 and highest since at least 2005.



No personal attacks or insults, no hate speech, no profanity. Please keep the conversation civil and help us moderate this thread by reporting any abuse. See our Commenting FAQ.

The opinions expressed in reader comments are those of the author only, and do not reflect the opinions of The Seattle Times.

The Seattle Times

The door is closed, but it's not locked.

Take a minute to subscribe and continue to enjoy The Seattle Times for as little as 99 cents a week.

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited content access is included with most subscriptions.

Subscriber login ►
The Seattle Times

To keep reading, you need a subscription upgrade.

We hope you have enjoyed your complimentary access. For unlimited access, please upgrade your digital subscription.

Call customer service at 1.800.542.0820 for assistance with your upgrade or questions about your subscriber status.

The Seattle Times

To keep reading, you need a subscription.

We hope you have enjoyed your complimentary access. Subscribe now for unlimited access!

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited content access is included with most subscriptions.

Activate Subscriber Account ►