A few tidbits from the 20-minute window open to the media at the start of practice Tuesday afternoon:
– TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins was again out in a regular purple practice jersey, with what appeared to be small hard cast on the outside of his right hand. No real update there; he still remains questionable for Boise State.
– DE Connor Cree was not in a yellow (no-contact) jersey, as he was Monday. So that seems to be progress there.
– PK/P Travis Coons was taking reps with the first-team punting unit. Not sure if that spot is settled yet; will ask when practice ends around 4:30.
– Three big, big dudes were used as “the shield” protecting Coons: DT Danny Shelton (327 pounds), DL Taniela Tupou (281 pounds) and Lawrence Lagafuaina (334 pounds). Good luck with that, would-be punt blockers.
– WRs Kevin Smith and John Ross were were the gunners working with the No. 1 punt coverage team.
– The second half of the video above features a 3-on-1 tackling drill, simulated like a kickoff return. Freshman RB Lavon Coleman (22) beat all three tackles on one return. And freshmen WRs Damore’ea Stringfellow (9) and Darrell Daniels (15) teamed up for a tackle on another play.
All for now. Will post any updates and interviews after practice.
Oh, and scoreboard, baby: