I’ve been fielding a lot of calls and emails the past couple weeks from UW fans wondering about public tours of Husky Stadium before Saturday’s season opener against Boise State.
I’ve been relaying the same message as young security guard Blake Gunderson: Sorry, gates don’t open until Saturday night.
From UW’s perspective, the idea is to make the reopening of the $280 million project as grand as possible. UW officials have also generally been tight-lipped about the pregame ceremony plans; they want it to be a surprise, so they’re encouraging everyone to arrive early.
“The Zone,” by the way, is scheduled to open three hours before kickoff. And here’s the schedule on the Metro Transit routes.
– Larry Stone with his first column on the Huskies — Keith Price, specifically — and it’s certainly worth a read.
– Notes from Steve Sarkisian’s press conference on Monday.
– The Idaho Statesman has notes and quotes from Boise State coach Chris Petersen and QB Joe Southwick.
Here’s Petersen on the rematch with the Huskies: “I think it’s tougher (this year). It starts with most of their guys being back, playing not in a neutral environment. Those two things right then and there make it tough. And the fact that whether we won or lost, most of our guys are gone. We’d be talking to air if we were trying to motivate one way or another. All their guys are back.”
– And here’s the AP’s wrap-up of the Boise State press conference.
– SI.com projects UW to the Sun Bowl against Miami.