The NCAA playing rules oversight committee had been scheduled to vote Thursday on the proposal. That is no longer necessary.
The withdrawal is a victory for proponents of fast-pace offenses and coaches who were critical of the proposal over the past three weeks.
In an ESPN survey, 93 of 128 FBS coaches (73 percent) were against the proposal.
Alabama’s Nick Saban and Arkansas’ Bret Bielema had argued in favor of the proposal, saying up-tempo offenses were a risk to player safety.
“I don’t care about getting blamed for this. That’s part of it,” Saban told ESPN.com. “But I do think that somebody needs to look at this very closely.
“”The fastball guys (up-tempo coaches) say there’s no data out there, and I guess you have to use some logic. What’s the logic? If you smoke one cigarette, do you have the same chances of getting cancer if you smoke 20? I guess there’s no study that specifically says that. But logically, we would say, ‘Yeah, there probably is.'”