Happy April Fool’s Day, everyone.
The Huskies are back on the practice field today for an 8:30 a.m. workout to kick off the final three weeks of spring ball. Tumwater’s Jaimie Bryant is finally scheduled to put on a UW uniform for the first time today, and good for him. Grayshirting isn’t unheard of in college football, but you don’t hear about it often with guys, like Bryant, who are healthy enough to join a college team right out of high school. Bryant had his share of ups and downs over the past 15 months, but here he is, eager to put on a team helmet for the first time since playing in the Class 2A state championship game in 2012.
Here’s my feature story on Bryant, a 6-foot-5, 300-pound defensive tackle who, at the behest of UW’s previous coaches, gained 60 pounds since January 2013. He’s now trying to lose about 15 pounds at the urging of the new coaching staff.
Bryant, the only recruit from the Class of 2014 scheduled to participate in spring ball, watched one of UW’s practices a few weeks ago during a rainy Saturday morning inside Husky Stadium. That, he said, was “very, very thrilling for me. I just love being part of a team. … I just want to come in and work my hardest, try to get up to speed and get up to their level.”
His impressions of watching the Huskies’ practice? “Light-speed. It doesn’t even compare to our high school practice. Their 50 percent (speed) is our 100 percent. It’s unreal how fast they go.”
Bryant will get a feel for just how fast it is this morning. No doubt, he’ll try to catch up as quickly as possible.
- Damore’ea Stringfellow will be charged for his part in alleged assaults during post-Super Bowl incidents near campus, a source with knowledge of the case told The Seattle Times on Monday. Cyler Miles, meanwhile, will not be charged. Both remained suspended from the team as of late Monday afternoon.
- Four-star quarterback Jake Browning committed to the Huskies on Monday. Check out his mind-numbing statistics the past two seasons at Folsom (Calif.) High — notably, 138 touchdown passes … 10,985 passing yards … a 70-percent completion percentage … and 33 interception on 1,184 attempts. Folsom is 26-2 with Browning as the starter, its only losses to powerhouse De La Salle. Also, it’s worth noting — as much as Chris Petersen dislikes the recruiting star rankings — that Browning is the sixth four-star recruit (counting the four from the Class of 2014, plus O’Dea RB Myles Gaskin for 2015) to commit to UW the past few months. Petersen landed just two four-star prep recruits in eight seasons at Boise State.
- Many positive vibes for UCLA as the Bruins begin spring practice.
- Oregon State QB Sean Mannion will welcome some nitpicking from new offensive coordinator John Garrett.
- Dennis Erickson says he has no hard feelings about his demotion at Utah.
What an amazing and humbling experience being able to come to Darrington to show my support for all the families affected by the #530slide
— Jermaine Kearse (@chopchop_15) April 1, 2014
— UW Baseball (@UW_Baseball) April 1, 2014