Good reporting here from Bud Withers on the Pac-12 moving its championship game to new Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, Calif.
Seattle and other sites were considered in 2011, Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott said, but the 49ers’ new home was the only place considered this time around.
More from Withers:
After (2011), Seattle was never in the picture. When I talked last week to Ralph Morton, executive director of the Seattle Sports Commission, he said: “The last information we had from them (the Pac-12 representatives), they were focusing on the business model of staying on campuses. We don’t know if there’s going to be opportunities to bid.”
Well, there aren’t, at least until this three-year contract runs out. What happened is, Levi’s, the new digs of the 49ers, has a high-end roster of suite-holders — “Some of the greatest names in technology, many from our schools,” Scott said — and club-seat subscribers, and the 49ers are trying to scoop up every event they can to keep them happy.
They’ve already hooked up with the Fight Hunger Bowl, which is moving south from the Giants ballpark.
Levi’s approached the Pac-12 some time ago about taking the event on. It pressed the issue, got nowhere, then sweetened the deal and gave the league an offer it couldn’t refuse.
- Great story about the NCAA doing the right thing for a homeless Boise State player.
- Q&A with new WSU offensive analyst Graham Harrell.
- USC AD Pat Haden earned about $2.4 million in 2012.
- Athlon loves its lists: Here are its top 100 players of the BCS era.
- Huge weekend for UW baseball. With a series win at No. 2 Oregon State, UW would be in great position for its first Pac-12 title since 1998.
- Oregon State ace Ben Wetzler will reportedly pitch today against UW, after being arrested last week.
Cool graphic on the success of UW’s spring sports:
— Carter Henderson (@_CsH) May 16, 2014