Good times on Thursday afternoon during our chat with Chris Petersen at the Husky Stadium football offices. Thanks to all of you who participated. There were a lot of great questions; sorry we couldn’t get to them all.
Petersen was loose and relaxed and quick-witted, but also intense at times and direct at others. He’s excited for his wife and youngest son Sam to move over from Boise in a couple weeks (with the school year ending, that was the general timeline for most of the coaches who have families still in Boise).
Here’s the full transcript from the chat.
- Petersen is in favor of creating an early signing period, an idea that has gained steam from coaches throughout the country. Petersen didn’t have a specific date in mind, but a late-November, early-December timeline seems to be a popular suggestion.
- Cyler Miles has been “embraced” by teammates “back into the family,” Petersen said. Miles, having missed all of spring while suspended, puts “a unique spin” on the quarterback depth chart; Petersen said there is no clear No. 1 at this point.
- Yes, he said, the Shaq Thompson experiment at running back in fall camp.
- Yes, he said, you will see the chrome helmets again next fall.
- Asked about Kasen Williams, Petersen reiterated that the senior receiver is “making good progress” from his broken leg. “Our goal is (have him) be 100 percent when we start camp in August.”
- He reiterated that RB Lavon Coleman, OL Coleman Shelton, OLB Keishawn Bierria and CB Jermaine Kelly were the redshirt freshman who stood out in his eye this spring.
- On his impressions of Husky Stadium: “Loud. Intimidating. And obnoxious. I can’t wait to be on the other sideline.”
- On a lighter note, Petersen posed a challenge to you, the fans: Let’s come up with a new to call “Husky Nation” … that doesn’t include “nation.” There were some great suggestions. I think my favorite was the Dawg Pack. The Pack could be cool, too. But I’ll leave that up to you folks. Leave any other suggestions you might have below.
Thanks again to everyone who participated in the chat. Hopefully we’ll get a chance to do it again sometime with Coach Pete.