- Bishop Sankey is back with the Tennessee Titans after completing his courses at UW.
- Kicker Travis Coons is also back with the Titans, and the undrafted free agent will push for the starting job. From The Tennessean:
Coons was 15-of-16 on field-goal attempts last season for a 93.8 percent accuracy rate that tied for third in the country. But he averaged just 60.4 yards on his 57 kickoffs, which ranked him only 88th in the FBS, according to cfbstats.com. He produced eight touchbacks, a 14 percent average.
“I think the one thing I want to improve on is my kickoffs,” Coons said. “You can always get better with field goals, too, being more consistent and bringing the confidence up even higher than it is.”
- Shaq Thompson is No. 2 on Mel Kiper Jr.‘s list of underclassmen outside linebackers … Marcus Peters is Kiper’s No. 2 underclassman cornerback … and Danny Shelton is the No. 3 senior defensive lineman.
- Ted Miller, in his ESPN mailbag, is asked about the odds that someone other than Cyler Miles starts a game for UW this season. (For what it’s worth, I’d say the odds are very high either Troy Williams or Jeff Lindquist starts at Hawaii.)
- Phil Steele has UCLA fifth in his top-five power rankings. (He has UW at No. 28 on his running top-40 countdown.)
- Setting the stage for Week 2 of the O’Bannon v. NCAA trial.
- Former Skyline High standout Jake Heaps has transferred to Miami, where he’s expected to challenge for the starting quarterback job as a senior.