Our annual college football preview section is out today, and I encourage everyone to pick up a hard copy. Many of you probably saw the stories and packages rolled out online over the last few days, but there’s always something special about having all the pieces come together in one jam-packed, 12-page section. Big props to the editors, Ed Guzman, Rich Boudet, Scott Hanson and Don Shelton, who made it happen.
Here are the special section stories:
- Chris Petersen is a perfectionist with a personal touch. Husky fans, Petersen knows, have similarly high expectations.
“Expectations get so out of whack,” he said, “and there’s no timeline for anything. The timeline is right now.
“I mean, I get it. I get it,” he added. “I think we can do some really good things here, but you know — I don’t know. I haven’t been with this team (very long); we haven’t played a game. The roster’s not exactly how we want it to look; I don’t know that any coach has that. But in this competitive league that we play, it can be scary at times.”
- A fun behind-the-scenes story from ace photographer Dean Rutz on how he got his cover shot of Petersen. (Dubs, the Huskies mascot, was lined up to be in the photo shoot with Petersen before things went awry.)
- From Jerry Brewer: Petersen’s mission is clear — make UW great again.
- From Larry Stone: Developing a quarterback is Petersen’s biggest task.
- Five keys to the Huskies’ season.
- Breaking down the UW’s 13-game schedule.
- A primer for the new college football playoff.
- Nice read from Bud Withers on WSU defensive line coach Joe Salave’a.
- Five keys to the Cougars’ season.
- Freshman safety Lavon Washington has been dismissed from the UW program. Junior tight end Derrick Brown was suspended indefinitely in an unrelated matter.
- Eastern Washington opened its season with a 56-35 victory over Sam Houston State. The Eagles come to Husky Stadium on Sept. 6.
- Pac-12 coaches were given one word to describe their team this year.
- Jake Locker was sacked twice and hit often in the Titans’ preseason game Saturday.
Husky Fans! That's how you do it! #RaiseTheWoof
Loved introducing my fellow OLineman with a little humor tonight. Another awesome raise the woof with the best fans in the country! #godawgs
— Dane Crane (@DaneCrane55) August 24, 2014
— Marshall Cherrington (@MWCherrington) August 24, 2014