What a show at CenturyLink Thursday night, right? Maybe some of that buzz will rub off on the Huskies in their home opener Saturday (noon, Pac-12 Networks) against Eastern Washington.
Maybe, too, the dominance Danny Shelton showed at Hawaii will rub off on his teammates this weekend. Shelton said before the season that he felt he’d been “too nice” in the past, and he also wanted to be on the field more this season. With 12 tackles and two sacks — while playing 72 snaps — he certainly took a solid step (or two) forward in both those areas against the Rainbow Warriors, as Percy Allen writes about in today’s paper.
“I don’t want to make it sound bad, but his attitude toward practice has changed from a mentality to where he was going along with it to where he’s controlling it and dominating it,” Hau’oli Kikaha said of Shelton, a close friend. “And we know the way you practice is the way you play, so I’m expecting big things from him.”
- Here’s a recap of our Thursday chat (it takes a moment to load).
- I’ve had some folks email me about the the Pac-12 Network schedule on Saturday, with three games broadcasting at the same time. The Huskies game will be broadcast on Pac-12 Washington and Pac-12 Oregon. Here’s the overflow announcement on the broadcast plan.
- Bud Withers‘ Week 2 Pac-12 picks.
- Titans first-year coach Ken Whisenhunt to ex-Husky Jake Locker on running with the ball and avoiding injuries: “Be smart.”
- Arizona narrowly escaped with a win at UTSA on Thursday night.
- Oregonian columnist John Canzano reacts to Colt Lyerla‘s accusations about Oregon.