Well, that was a fun Saturday.
For the first time in the 78-year history of the AP poll, five of the top eight teams lost in the same week. All four of the Pac-12’s ranked teams — Oregon, UCLA, USC and Stanford — all went down, leaving us with the jumbled mess of mass confusion (above) in the Pac-12 North.
Cal escaped Pullman, somehow, with a “wacko” 60-59 victory over the Cougars, leaving the Bears atop the North at 2-1 in league.
The Huskies (4-1, 0-1), idle last week, play at Cal at 3 p.m. on Saturday. More wacko is expected.
- Cal helped produce a new level of insanity Saturday night.
- Arizona State stunned Steve Sarkisian and USC with this unbelievable Hail Mary.
- For the Sun Devils, it was a miracle.
- UCLA joined the list of fallen, thanks to Utah.
- Oregon State survived at Colorado, 36-31.
- Assessing the wild Week 6 in college football.
- Is Arizona entering a golden era under Rich Rod?
Wazzu gained 812 yards — 812! — and lost.
— Stewart Mandel (@slmandel) October 5, 2014
The only way for this day in college football to end is with a classic #CougdIt moment. What a day.
— Jake Zivin (@JakeZivin) October 5, 2014
Todd Graham leaving the press conference: "I'm going to go do a cartwheel. I'm pretty fired up."
— Doug Haller (@DougHaller) October 5, 2014
Steve Sarkisian, see that box that just arrived on your doorstep? Open it. Yeah, sorry, it's a hot seat…
— Bill Plaschke (@BillPlaschke) October 5, 2014
— Ryan Abraham (@insidetroy) October 5, 2014
Absolute chaos in the conference. The extent of what we know now: Every single Pac-12 team has a potentially fatal flaw.
— David Lombardi (@LombardiESPN) October 5, 2014