Here’s the updated pitching probables …
- Umpires: HP Dan Bellino (HP), 1B DJ Reyburn (70), 2B Pat Hoberg (31), 3B Jeff Kellogg (CC, )
- Mariners’ official game notes: 06.24.14 Game Notes
- Red Sox official game notes: 6-24 – Red Sox
- Daily MLB statpack: 06.24.14 Stats
- TV: Root NW
- Radio: ESPN 710/Mariners radio network
- MLB Gamecast: HERE
THIS DAY IN MARINERS HISTORY (June 24):
- 1985 – Frank Wills and Edwin Nunez combined on a five-hit, 2-0 shutout of the Texas Rangers, the Mariners fourth straight win.
- 1995 – Randy Johnson outduels Chuck Finley in a classic pitcher’s duel. The Mariners win 3-2 vs. the Angels as Edgar Martinez hit a three-run HR in the sixth inning.
- 1997 – Randy Johnson sets an AL record for strikeouts by a left-handed pitcher with 19 strikeouts in a 4-1 loss vs. Oakland…Mark McGwire turns one Johnson fastball into a homer that travels an estimated 538 feet off the back wall in the Kingdome.
- 1998 – Ken Griffey Jr. belts HR #30 on the year and joins Mark McGwire as the only player with 30 homers before the break. Alex Rodriguez steals a career-high three bases and joins his second consecutive 20-20 club.
- 2000 – Mariners win record seventh consecutive series (SD 2-1, Col 2-1, SF 2-1, KC 2-1, Min 3-1, TB 2-1, & Bal 4-0).
- 2003 – Freddy Garcia won his fifth consecutive start in the month. Later named AL Pitcher of the Month after going 5-0 with a 2.05 ERA and 31 strikeouts in six starts.
Erasmo walks the bases loaded but for some reason AJ Pierzynski swung at the first pitch with two outs and grounded out weakly. Not smart.
M’s get two runs in the first. Endy Chavez led off with a single. James Jones walked and Kyle Seager doubled to score Chavez. Logan Morrison’s sac fly to center scored Jones from third.
Mariners 2, Red Sox 0
Ramirez had a little less dramatic inning. He gave up a two out single to Jackie Bradley Jr. but then got Brock Holt to line out.
M’s tack on another run as the ageless Endy Chavez triples home Brad Miller to make it 3-0.
Mariners 3, Red Sox 0
Many of you know …. Taijuan Walker threw his first complete games shutout of his career at Cheney Stadium Here’s his line ….
I have no idea if they will make the move for Erasmo Ramirez’s next start. It’s not as if they ever believed Erasmo was better than Taijuan. It was always of matter of when Taijuan was healthy, had a foundation of innings built up and also had exhibited consistent command.
Odd play with a long challenge on Dustin Ackley’s diving catch attempt. After the call was reversed from being a catch and Napoli was awarded with a single, McClendon asked for an ump review to see if Napoli passed Ortiz while running the bases. But that had also been checked.
The juggling chainsaw act of Erasmo Ramirez lopped off an appendage. Ramirez left a 88 mph fastball over the middle of the plate and Brock Holt hammered it into right field for a two-run homer.
M’s go down 1-2-3.
Mariners 3, Red Sox 2
Erasmo gave up a one out single to Napoli and walked Nava. McClendon had seen enough. He went to Joe Beimel who got out of the inning, striking out Pierzynski and getting Bogaerts to ground into a force play.
The Mariners break it open. Kyle Seager blasted a three-run homer off the window of the Hit it Here Cafe in right field. Mike Zunino later smacked a solo homer into the Seattle bullpen.
Mariners 7, Red Sox 2
Brock Holt doubles with two outs, but Danny Farquhar replaces Beimel and strikes out Pedroia to end the inning.
M’s go 1-2-3
Mariners 7, Red Sox 2