Here is today’s Mariners’ minor league round-up, which offers the team’s official minor league report from Kelly Munro that features, notes, stats and box scores. There are also game results on all of the organization’s minor league affiliates that were in action.
I tweeted it out yesterday, but Alex Jackson, who suffered a small facial fracture when he was struck in the face with a ball, will return to action in about 10 days or so. He has to be cleared by specialists first before he returns to action.
Class AAA Tacoma
Missing Abe Almonte, Nick Franklin and Steve Kolscheen, the Rainiers still prevailed 4-1 in Salt Lake City. Xavier Avery hit a homer on the first pitch of the game. Ty Kelly later hit a two-run homer in the win.
- Video of Avery’s home run
- From the report: Jesus Montero hit .375 (39×104) with 18 runs scored, 9 doubles, 8 home runs, 33 RBI and 6 walks in 27 games in July. He finished 2nd among all minor league players with 33 RBI in July. Montero’s RBI total stands as the most recorded by a Rainiers player in a single month since Mike Carp drove in 37 runs in 29 games with Tacoma in May of 2011.. OF Xavier Avery is batting .391 (9×23) with 4 runs scored, 1 double, 1 home run, 1 RBI, 2 walks and 2 stolen bases in his last 7 games. C John Hicks has hit safely in 9 of his last 11 games since July 5, batting .349 (15×43) with 7 runs scored, 2 home runs, 5 RBI, 2 walks and 2 stolen bases.
- Game notes …. GAME INFORMATION_08.01.2014
Class AA Jackson
The Generals were suffering from some bus lag in a 12- loss to the Montgomery Biscuits. Patrick Brady homered in the loss for Jackson. Starter Cam Hobson was roughed up, giving up eight runs on seven hits, including three homers in three innings of work.
- Here’s video of Brady’s homer
- From the report: INF Patrick Kivlehan has hit safely in 13 of his last 15 games, batting .351 (20×57) with 9 runs scored, 6 doubles, 3 triples, 2home runs, 13 RBI and 7 walks. He also has hit safely in 18 of his last 21 games, batting .364 (28×77) with 15 runs scored, 7 doubles, 4 triples, 3 home runs, 18 RBI and 9 walks. Starter Victor Sanchez is 2-0 with a 2.02 ERA (8 ER, 35.2 IP) in 6 starts in July. Duing this stretch he has limited opponents to a .198 (25×126) average, while walking 9 and striking out 28.
Class A High Desert
The Mavs prevailed 3-2 with Gabby Guerrero, Burt Reynolds and Bryan Brito each driving in a run. Reynolds provided the winning RBI in the top of the ninth. Starter Scott DeCecco worked seven innings, giving up two runs on six hits with two walks and four strikeouts. Andrew Kittredge tossed two scoreless innings of relief.
- From the report: C Tyler Marlette is batting .387 (12×31) with 5 runs scored, 2 doubles, 2 home runs, 7 RBI and 1 walk over his last 7 games. Since June 8, Marlette is batting .346 (45×130) with 19 runs scored, 9 doubles, 6 home runs, 19 RBI, 8 walks and 5 stolen bases over 32 games. During this stretch he has raised his average from .261 to .303. …… RH Andrew Kittredge struck out a career-high 7 batters in 3.1 perfect innings on July 25 at Rancho Cucamonga. He is averaging 12.53 strikeouts per 9.0 innings over 32 relief appearances with High Desert (90 SO/64.2 IP). Ovearall this season he has struck out a career-high 95 batters in 71.2 innings combined between High Desert (90), Jackson (3) and Everett (2) in 36 appearances. He currently ranks T3rd among all Mariners minor league pitchers in strikeouts.
Class A Clinton
The LumberKings exploded offensively, banging out 18 hits in a 13-9 win over Quad Cities. Isaiah Yates went 4-for-6 with two doubles and five RBI. Marcus Littlewood went 3-for-3 with a double and a homer and three walks.
- From the report: C Marcus Littlewood currently has a 9-game hit streak, batting .406 (13×32) with 6 runs scored, 1 double, 2 triples, 1 home run, 7 RBI and 7 walks. …… OF Chantz Mack is batting .429 (6×14) with 5 runs scored, 2 doubles, 1 triple, 1 home run, and 6 RBI during his current 3-game hit streak. …… INF Justin Seager has hit safely in each of his last 4 games, batting .353 (6×17) with 3 runs scored, 3 RBI and 1 walk.
- Game notes: 8.1.14 Game Notes
Short A Everett
The Aqua Sox scored six runs in the top of the ninth inning, but couldn’t complete the comeback, losing 10-9.
- From the report: RH Kody Kerski has not allowed a hit over his last 9.2 innings scoreless innings in relief. During this 7-game stretch he has walked 3 batters and struck out 10. Overall this season he is 3-1 with 2 saves and a 1.48 ERA (4 ER, 24.1 IP) in 15 games. He has limited opponents to a .180 (16×89) average, while walking 10 and striking out 30. INF Nelson Ward is batting .538 (7×13) with 3 runs scored, 2
doubles, 1 home run, 4 RBI and 2 walks in his last 3 games.
Rookie League Pulaski
The Mariners had nine hits, but lost 6-2 to Danville
- From the report: Arby Fields has hit afely in 8 of his last 9 games with an at-bat, batting .433 (13×30) with 5 runs scored, 2 doubles, 1 home run, 3 RBI, 3 walks and 2 stolen bases. OF Estarlyn Morales has hit safely in 13 of his last 15 games, batting .404 (23×57) with 12 runs scored, 5 doubles, 2 triples, 2 home runs, 13 RBI, 6 walks and 3 stolen bases.
Rookie League Arizona
Erick Mejia had two hits and Gareth Morgan homered as the Mariners rallied for a 4-3 win . Austin Wilson, who is rehabbing in Arizona, also had a hit and a walk. Big lefty Luis Gohara had a shaky start, pitching just one inning and giving up give runs on four hits, including three homers.
- From the report: RH Donald Dominguez is 1-1 with 1 save and a 0.70 ERA (2 ER, 25.2 IP) in 11 relief appearances. Overall he has limited opponents to a .176 (15×85) average, while walking 7 and striking out 23. LH Nick Kiel is 3-0 with 1 save and a 1.59 ERA (3 ER, 17.0 IP) over 11 relief appearances this season
[do action=”custom_iframe” url=”http://www.scribd.com/embeds/235639292/content?start_page=1&view_mode=scroll&access_key=key-ClcMPmbFU3k71Gqeynin&show_recommendations=true” data-auto-height=”false” data-aspect-ratio=”0.7729220222793488″ scrolling=”no” id=”doc_34491″ width=”100%” height=”600″ frameborder=”0″” width=”630″ height=”500″ scrolling=””/]