Here is today’s Mariners’ minor league round-up, which offers the team’s official minor league report from Kelly Munro that features, notes, stats and box scores. There are also game results on all of the organization’s minor league affiliates that were in action.
Class AAA Tacoma
Taijuan Walker had a second strong outing, pitching six innings and giving up one run on three hits with three walks and nine strikeouts in Tacoma’s 6-3 win over New Orleans. Walker is 2-0 with a 1.38 (two runs in 13 innings pitched) in his last two starts. Opponents are hitting just .116 against him with 22 strikeouts.
Xavier Avery homered while Michael Saunders, Justin Smoak, Ty Kelly, Nate Tenbrink and Stefen Romero each had two hits in the wind. Saunders also drew a pair of walks in his first game back from paternity leave
- Video of Avery’s homer
- From the report: OF Stefen Romero currently has an 8-game hitting streak, batting .444 (16×36) with 7 runs scored, 2 doubles, 2 triples, 3 home runs, 12 RBI and 4 walks. Since being optioned to AAA Tacoma, Romero is batting .377 (20×53) with 9 runs scored, 2 doubles, 2 triples, 5 home runs, 15 RBI and 6 walks. 1B Justin Smoak has recorded a hit in 11 of his last 12 games, batting .378 (17×45) with 12 runs scored, 5 doubles, 4 RBI and 10 walks. C John Hicks has hit safely in 14 of 18 games since his promotion to Tacoma, batting .323 (21×65) with 8 runs scored, 2 doubles, 1 triple, 1 home run, 16 RBI, 4 walks and 1 stolen base. INF Ji-Man Choi has reached base safely in 27 of his last 28 games since July 13, including recording hits in 21 contests. Overall during this stretch he is batting .287 (29×101) with 19 runs scored, 3 doubles, 12 RBI and 12 walks
Class AA Jackson
The Generals lost 3-1 to Birmingham, falling to fourth place in the standings. They got one run in the first inning and then didn’t score again. Leon Landry had three hits with a double and a stolen base. Dario Pizzano had two hits and a double. Starter Victor Sanchez worked six innings, giving up two runs on eight hits with four walks and four strikeouts.
- Video of Pizzano’s double
- From the report: INF Patrick Kivlehan currently has a 7-game hit steak, batting .407 (11×27) with 6 runs scored, 3 doubles, 1 triple, 1 home run, 6 RBI and 2 walks. He has also hit safely in 12 of his last 13 games, batting .375 (18×48) with 10 runs scored, 3 doubles, 1 triple, 2 home runs, 8 RBI, 6 walks and 3 stolen bases. Over his last 3 starts in August, LH Tyler Olson is 2-1 with a 0.47 ERA (1 ER, 19.1 IP). During this stretch he has limited opponents to a .200 (14×70) average, while walking 4 and striking out 16. LH Kyle Hunter has not allowed a run over his last 16.1 innings (9G/1GS). During this stretch, since July 16, Hunter has limited opponents to a .193 (11×57) average, while walking 4 and striking 7. Since May 24, RH Stephen Shackleford is 3-1 with a 1.38 ERA (4 ER, 26.0 IP) in 20 relief appearances. During this 20 game stretch he has lowered his season ERA from 4.71 to 3.13, while striking out 38 batters in 26.0 innings. RH Trevor Miller has not allowed an earned run in his last 18.2 innings over 7 relief appearances. During this stretch, since July 24, he has limited opponents to a .190 (12×63) average, while walking 2 and striking out 17.
- Lineups, links and game notes from Chris Harris’ blog
Class A High Desert
The Mavs split a doubleheader against Inland Empire. They rolled to a 12-8 win in the first game, banging out 19 hits in seven innings. Burt Reynolds went 3-for-5 with a grand slam. Jack Reinheimer had four hits and Gabby Guerrero homered and doubled and drove in four runs.
In the nightcap, they lost 8-7. Guerrero, Zach Shank and Tyler Marlette all homered in the game. Guerrero had three hits in the loss.
- Story from MILB talking with hitting coach Max Venable about Guerrero’s big game.
- From the report: C Tyler Marlette is batting .471 (8×17) with 6 runs scored, 3 doubles, 3 home runs and 9 RBI over his last 4 games. He has recorded 22 of his 49 RBI this season in his last 18 games (since 7/24), including 8 multi-RBI games. INF Zach Shank has reached base safely in his last 12 games, batting .314 (16×51) with 13 runs scored, 2 triples, 2 home runs, 7 RBI, 2 HBP and 2 walks.
Class A Clinton
The LumberKings lost 4-3 after blowing an early 2-0 lead. Brett Thomas had two hits and drove in a run, while Justin Seager had the other RBI in the game.
- From the report: INF Tyler O’Neill is batting .320 (16×50) with 10 runs scored, 5 doubles, 5 home runs, 14 RBI and 5 walks in 13 games in August. INF Joe DeCarlo has hit safely in 10 of his last 11 games, batting .359 (14×39) with 9 runs scored, 5 doubles, 5 RBI and 4 walks. LH Paul Fry is 2-1 with 1 save and a 0.96 ERA (2 ER, 18.2 IP) over his last 13 relief appearances.
Short A Everett
The Aqua Sox managed just three hits and were shutout by Vancouver, 3-0. Austin Cousino, Adam Martin and Corey Simpson had the hits. Starter Ryan Yarbrough pitched four innings, giving up one hit and struck out three.
- From the report: RH Daniel Altavilla is 4-0 with a 3.13 ERA (8 ER, 23.0 IP) in his last 4 starts, after going 0-2 with a 6.48 ERA (18 ER, 25.0 IP) in his first 7 career starts (6/17-7/19). LHP Ryan Yarbrough has allowed only 3 hits in 13.0 scoreless innings over his last 4 starts. Overall with Everett he is 0-1 with a 1.61 ERA (5 ER, 28.0 IP), while walking 2 and striking out 37 in 9 games/7 starts.
Rookie League Pulaski
The Mariners couldn’t hold an 8-7 lead, losing it in the eighth and falling 9-8 to Johnson City. Wayne Taylor 2-for-2 with a double, two runs scored and three walks. Arby Fields homered and Yordi Calderon had a double and 2 RBIs
- From the report: OF Arby Fields currently has an 8-game hit streak, batting .333 (10×30) with 4 runs scored, 2 doubles, 1 triple, 2 home runs, 5 RBI, 5 walks and 4 stolen bases. INF Gianfranco Wawoe has hit safely in 7 of his last 10 games with 5 multi-hit efforts, batting .333 (14×42) with 7 runs scored, 3 doubles, 1 RBI and 2 stolen bases. C Daniel Torres has reached base safely in his last 8 games, batting .346 (9×26) with 5 runs scored, 1 double, 7 RBI and 6 walks. RH Trey Cochran-Gill has allowed only 2 earned runs in 25.2 innings in 18 relief appearances, including 15.2 consecutive scoreless innings to begin his career. Overall 3-0 with 8 saves, while limiting opponents to a .165 (15×91) average with 3 walks and 33 strikeouts. LH Taylor Bryd has not allowed a run over his last 13.0 innings over his last 4 starts (since allowing a run in the 2nd innings on July 16 at Johnson City). RH Rohn Pierce has not allowed a run over his last 10.0 innings in relief (4 G).
Rookie League Arizona
The Mariners picked up a 2-1 win. Luis Liberato hit a solo homer and added a triple. Arturo Nieto drove in the team’s other run. Starter Jose Santiago pitched 5 1/3 innings, giving up one run on five hits with a walk and four strikeouts.
- From the report: RH Osmel Morales has not allowed a run in his last 16.1 innings, dating back to July 17 (4 G). Overall this season he is 3-2 with a 2.41 ERA (10 ER, 37.1 IP) in 8 games/6 starts. INF Erick Mejia has hit safely in 10 of his last 12 games, batting .357 (15×42) with 8 runs scored, 4 triples, 1 home run, 5 RBI, 4 walks and 6 stolen bases. After batting .167 (4×24) over his first 9 games with the Mariners, Mejia has hit safely in 13 of his last 17 games, batting .328 (20×61) with 13 runs scored, 1 double, 4 triples, 1 home run, 6 RBI, 7 walks and 8 stolen bases.
[do action=”custom_iframe” url=”http://www.scribd.com/embeds/236979446/content?start_page=1&view_mode=scroll&access_key=key-HGv3OoG6Xr9rynCPZps8&show_recommendations=true” data-auto-height=”false” data-aspect-ratio=”0.7729220222793488″ scrolling=”no” id=”doc_19893″ width=”100%” height=”600″ frameborder=”0″” width=”630″ height=”500″ scrolling=””/]