Here is today’s Mariners’ minor league round-up, which offers the team’s official minor league report from Kelly Munro that features, notes, stats and box scores. There are also game results on all of the organization’s minor league affiliates that were in action.
A few quick notes …
Top draft pick Alex Jackson is close to returning to game action. The hard-hitting outifelder has been out with a fractured cheek bone after being struck in the face by a line drive in the outfield.
Mariners director of minor league operations Chris Gwynn said that Jackson has been working out and taking batting practice and infield. Basically, he’s doing everything but playing in games. Jackson must have another clean facial scan before being cleared. Gwynn thinks that could happen in the next day or two.
Catcher Steven Baron, who had been playing well for Class AA Jackson of late, tweaked his hamstring in last night’s loss to Huntsville. He’s out for at least a few days. Tyler Marlette was promoted from Class A High Desert to take Baron’s place. Marlette is hitting .301 with 23 doubles, 15 homers, 49 RBI and an .870 OPS. Marcus Littlewood will go from Class A Clinton to High Desert to take Marlette’s spot. Littlewood, who was converted from shortstop to catcher, is hitting .250 with eight homers, 43 RBI and a .735 OPS. Also as part of the catching shuffle, Luke Guarnaccia will go from Everett to Clinton.
Class AAA Tacoma
The Rainiers, specifically Logan Kensing, gave up four runs in the seventh inning in a 5-2 loss to the Round Rock Express. Stefen Romero had two hits and a RBI and Just Smoak drovein the other run. Michael Saunders went 0-for-2 with two walks and a strikeout.
- Video of Romero’s RBI single
- From the report: OF Stefen Romero currently has a 10-game hitting streak, batting .488 (21×43) with 11 runs scored, 3 doubles, 2 triples, 5 home runs, 16 RBI and 4 walks. Since being optioned to AAA Tacoma on Aug. 1, Romero is batting .417 (25×60) with 13 runs scored, 3 doubles, 2 triples, 7 home runs, 19 RBI and 6 walks in 14 games. 1B Justin Smoak has recorded a hit in 12 of his last 13 games, batting .367 (18×49) with 12 runs scored, 5 doubles, 5 RBI and 10 walks. C John Hicks has hit safely in 15 of 19 games since his promotion to Tacoma, batting .319 (22×69) with 8 runs scored, 2 doubles, 1 triple, 1 home run, 16 RBI, 4 walks and 1 stolen base.
Class AA Jackson
The Generals got homers from Dario Pizzano (solo), Tyler Smith (two-run) and Jordy Lara (three-run) in the third inning, but they gave up eight unanswered runs in a 8-6 loss to Huntsville. The relief trio of Stephen Shackleford, Nick Hill and Mayckol Guaipe combined to allow six of those eight runs.
- From the report: OF Dario Pizzano currently has a 5-game hit streak, batting .400 (8×20) with 3 runs 4 doubles, 1 home run, 6 RBI and 5 walks. OF Leon Landry has recorded a hit in each of his last 8 games, batting .333 (12×36) with 7 runs scored, 2 doubles, 2 triple, 1 home run, 1 RBI, 1 walk and 1 stolen base. INF Patrick Kivlehan has hit safely in 13 of his last 15 games, batting .333 (19×57) with 12 runs scored, 4 doubles, 1 triple, 2 home runs, 10 RBI, 6 walks and 3 stolen bases. Over his last 3 starts in August, LH Tyler Olson is 2-1 with a 0.47 ERA (1 ER, 19.1 IP). During this stretch he has limited opponents to a .200 (14×70) average, while walking 4 and striking out 16. LH Kyle Hunter has not allowed a run over his last 17.1 innings (10G/1GS). During this stretch, since July 16, Hunter has limited opponents to a .197 (12×61) average, while walking 4 and striking 9. RH Trevor Miller has not allowed an earned run in his last 18.2 innings over 7 relief appearances. During this stretch, since July 24, he has limited opponents to a .190 (12×63) average, while walking 2 and striking out 17.
Class A High Desert
You won’t get many wins giving up 10 runs in the first inning. The Mavericks spotted Inland Empire a double digit lead in the first and lost 15-0. Lonnie Kauppila had two hits for High Desert. Starter Scott DeCecco gave up eight runs on seven hits, including four homers in 2/3 of an inning. His relief help Min-Sih Chen gave up seven runs on seven hits with three homers in 1 1/3 of an inning. First baseman Zach Shank had to pitch the final two innings.
- From the report: OF Gabby Guerrero has hit safely in 5 of his last 7 games, batting .407 (11×27) with 4 runs scored, 1 double, 2 home runs, 8 RBI, 1 walk. C Tyler Marlette is batting .409 (9×22) with 7 runs scored, 4 doubles, 3 home runs and 9 RBI over his last 6 games. He has recorded 22 of his 49 RBI this season in his last 19 games (since 7/24), including 8 multi-RBI games. INF Zach Shank has reached base safely in his last 14 games, batting .310 (18×58) with 15 runs scored, 1 double, 2 triples, 2 home runs, 7 RBI, 3 HBP and 3 walks. RH Andrew Kittredge is averaging 12.59 strikeouts per 9.0 innings over 36 relief appearances with High Desert (104 SO/74.1 IP). Ovearall this season he has struck out a career-high 109 batters in 81.1 innings combined between High Desert (143), Jackson (3) and Everett (2) in 39 appearances. He currently ranks 3rd among all Mariners minor league pitchers in strikeouts.
Class A Clinton
Martin Peguero gave the LumberKings a 4-3 win with a two-out walk-off single in the bottom of the ninth.
- Award: OF Tyler O’Neill was named Midwest League Player of the Week, Aug. 11-17. O’Neill reached base safely in all 6 games he appeared with hits in 5 games, batting .381 (8×21) with 6 runs scored, 3 doubles, 2 home runs, 8 RBI and 3 walks. He hit a grand slam home run twice during the week (8/14 at Wisconsin and 8/16 vs. Beloit), his only 2 career grand slams. Also his 4 RBI in both the game tied his career-high (also: 8/6/14 vs. Beloit). O’Neill’s 4 hits on Aug. 14 at Wisconsin (4×5, 2 R, GS HR, 4 RBI) also tied his career-high (also: 7/10/13 vs AZL Brewers w/AZL Mariners).
- From the report: INF Joe DeCarlo has hit safely in 12 of his last 13 games, batting .383 (18×47) with 10 runs scored, 6 doubles, 6 RBI and 4 walks. LH Paul Fry is 3-1 with 1 save and a 0.86 ERA (2 ER, 21.0 IP) over his last 14 relief appearances.
Short A Everett
The Aqua Sox lost 8-7 in a wild game that featured 16 hits and 15 walks. Luke Guarnaccia had two hits and drove in two runs. Phillips Castillo homered.
- Nick Patterson has this story looking the Aqua Sox BAPIP
- From the report: RH Daniel Altavilla is 4-0 with a 3.13 ERA (8 ER, 23.0 IP) in his last 4 starts, after going 0-2 with a 6.48 ERA (18 ER, 25.0 IP) in his first 7 career starts (6/17-7/19). LHP Ryan Yarbrough has allowed only 3 hits in 13.0 scoreless innings over his last 4 starts. Overall with Everett he is 0-1 with a 1.61 ERA (5 ER, 28.0 IP), while walking 2 and striking out 37 in 9 games/7 starts.
Rookie League Pulaski
Down 3-0, the Mariners scored four runs in the top of the ninth for a 4-3 win, highlighted by a two-run pinch hit homer from Georvic Perez.
- From the report: OF Arby Fields currently has a 9-game hit streak, batting .394 (13×33) with 5 runs scored, 2 doubles, 2 triples, 2 home runs, 5 RBI, 6 walks and 4 stolen bases. INF Gianfranco Wawoe has hit safely in 8 of his last 12 games with 5 multi-hit efforts, batting .311 (15×49) with 7 runs scored, 3 doubles, 1 RBI and 2 stolen bases. Trey Cochran-Gill has allowed only 2 earned runs in 25.2 innings in 18 relief appearances, including 15.2 consecutive scoreless innings to begin his career. Overall 3-0 with 8 saves, while limiting opponents to a .165 (15×91) average with 3 walks and 33 strikeouts. RH Rohn Pierce has not allowed a run over his last 12.2 innings in relief (4 G).
Rookie League Arizona
Game postponed due to inclement weather.
- From the report: RH Osmel Morales has not allowed a run in his last 16.1 innings, dating back to July 17 (4 G). Overall this season he is 3-2 with a 2.41 ERA (10 ER, 37.1 IP) in 8 games/6 starts. OF Hersin Martinez has hit safely in 4 of his last 5 games, batting .368 (7×19) with 2 runs scored, 1 double and 1 walk. INF Erick Mejia has hit safely in 11 of his last 13 games, batting .348 (16×46) with 8 runs scored, 4 triples, 1 home run, 5 RBI, 4 walks and 6 stolen bases. After batting .167 (4×24) over his first 9 games with the Mariners, Mejia has hit safely in 15 of his last 19 games, batting .328 (22×67) with 13 runs scored, 2 doubles, 4 triples, 1 home run, 7 RBI, 8 walks and 8 stolen bases.
[do action=”custom_iframe” url=”http://www.scribd.com/embeds/237135838/content?start_page=1&view_mode=scroll&access_key=key-XCH2NumApnYPNpWZqKC6&show_recommendations=true” data-auto-height=”false” data-aspect-ratio=”0.7729220222793488″ scrolling=”no” id=”doc_18625″ width=”100%” height=”600″ frameborder=”0″” width=”630″ height=”500″ scrolling=””/]