Here is today’s Mariners’ minor league round-up, which offers the team’s official minor league report from Kelly Munro that features, notes, stats and box scores. There are also game results on all of the organization’s minor league affiliates that were in action.
Class AAA Tacoma
Round Rock used two big innings – six runs in the fifth and four in the eighth – to roll to a 10-5 win over Tacoma. Ketel Marte had three hits including his first Class AAA home run. Stefen Romero had a pair of hits, including a RBI double. Michael Saunders went 1-for-4 with a walk two strikeouts.
- Video of Marte’s homer
- From the report: OF Stefen Romero currently has a 12-game hitting streak, batting .491 (26×53) with 13 runs scored, 4 doubles, 2 triples, 5 home runs, 18 RBI, 4 walks and 1 stolen base. Since being optioned to AAA Tacoma on Aug. 1, Romero is batting .429 (30×70) with 15 runs scored, 4 doubles, 2 triples, 7 home runs, 21 RBI, 6 walks and 1 stolen base in 16 games. 1B Justin Smoak has recorded a hit in 13 of his last 15 games, batting .368 (21×57) with 12 runs scored, 7 doubles, 8 RBI and 11 walks. C John Hicks has hit safely in 16 of 20 games since his promotion to Tacoma, batting .324 (24×74) with 9 runs scored, 2 doubles, 1 triple, 1 home run, 17 RBI, 4 walks and 1 stolen base. INF Ketel Marte has hit safely in each of his first 6 games with Tacoma, batting .385 (10×26) with 4 runs scored, 2 doubles, 1 home run, 4 RBI, 2 walks and 3 stolen bases. Dating back to July 30 with AA Jackson, Marte has hit safely in each of his last 15 games, batting .365 (23×63) with 10 runs scored, 4 doubles, 2 home runs, 8 RBI, 2 walks and 3 stolen bases.
Class AA Jackson
The Generals split a doubleheader with Huntsville. The big news was the hot bat of DJ Peterson. The Mariners’ top hitting prospect blasted a pair of two-run homers in the first game and added two more hits and a RBI in the second game. Jabari Blash also homered in the first game.
- From the report: INF D.J. Peterson ranks 3rd among all minor league players wth 102 RBI combined between High Deset and Jackson. He also is tied of the organizational lead wih 28 home runs, while ranking T9th in the minor leagues. INF Patrick Kivlehan has hit safely in 9 of his last 11 games, batting .326 (14×43) with 9 runs scored, 4 doubles, 1 triple, 2 home runs, 8 RBI and 2 walks. Over his last 4 starts in August, LH Tyler Olson is 3-1 with a 1.09 ERA (3 ER, 24.2 IP). During this stretch he has limited opponents to a .223 (21×94) average, while walking 4 and striking out 20. After going 3-5 with a 4.56 ERA (36 ER, 71.0 IP) over his first 13 AA starts, Olson is 5-2 with a 2.41 ERA (11 ER, 41.0 IP) over his last 7 starts. LH Kyle Hunter has not allowed a run over his last 19.2 innings (11G/1GS). During this stretch, since July 16, Hunter has limited opponents to a .191 (13×68) average, while walking 5 and striking 11. RH Trevor Miller has not allowed an earned run in his last 201 innings over 8 relief appearances. During this stretch, since July 24, he has limited opponents to a .191 (13×68) average, while walking 4 and striking out 17.
Class A High Desert
- From the report: OF Gabby Guerrero has hit safely in 5 of his last 7 games with 4 multi-hit contests, batting .520 (13×25) with 7 runs scored, 1 double, 3 home runs, 9 RBI, 3 walks. INF Zach Shank has reached base safely in his last 16 games, batting .313 (21×67) with 17 runs scored, 1 double, 2 triples, 2 home runs, 10 RBI, 3 HBP and 3 walks. OF Jabari Henry has hit 4 home runs in his last 7 games and 14 in 46 games since July 1. His 28 home runs this season currently are tied for the most among all Mariners farmhands. RH Andrew Kittredge is averaging 12.43 strikeouts per 9.0 innings over 37 relief appearances with High Desert (105 SO/76.0 IP). Ovearall this season he has struck out a career-high 110 batters in 83.0 innings combined between High Desert (105), Jackson (3) and Everett (2) in 42 appearances.
Class A Clinton
The Mavs gave up four runs in the bottom of the seventh to lose 8-7 to Lancaster. Gabby Guerrero continues to swing a hot bat. He went 3-for-5 with a homer – his 17th this season. Zach Shank had two hits and drove in three runs. Marcus Littlewood, who was just called up from Clinton, had two hits and drove in a run.
- From the report: OF Tyler O’Neill has hit safely in each of his last 6 games, batting .440 (11×25) with 8 runs scored, 3 doubles, 3 home runs, 9 RBI, 1 walk and 1 stolen base. He is batting .328 (22×67) with 15 runs scored, 5 doubles, 7 home runs, 19 RBI, 5 walks and 1 stolen base in 17 games in August. INF Joe DeCarlo currently has a 8-game hit streak, batting .389 (14×36) with 6 runs scored, 3 doubles, 4 RBI and 1 walk. He has hit safely in 14 of his last 15 games, batting .382 (21×55) with 11 runs scored, 6 doubles, 7 RBI and 4 walks. LH Paul Fry is 3-1 with 1 save and a 0.81 ERA (2 ER, 22.1 IP) over his last 15 relief appearances.
Short A Everett
The Aqua Sox gave up 16 hits and lost 9-4 to Eugene. Third baseman Chris Mariscal had three hits and a RBI. Adam Marting added two hits. Starter Jefferson Medina didn’t record an out, giving up four runs on three hits with a walk and a strikeout
- From the report: RH Daniel Altavilla is 5-0 with a 3.72 ERA (12 ER, 29.0 IP) in his last 5 starts, after going 0-2 with a 6.48 ERA (18 ER, 25.0 IP) in his first 7 career starts (6/17-7/19). LHP Ryan Yarbrough has allowed only 3 hits in 13.0 scoreless innings over his last 4 starts. Overall with Everett he is 0-1 with a 1.61 ERA (5 ER, 28.0 IP), while walking 2 and striking out 37 in 9 games/7 starts.
Rookie League Pulaski
The Mariners swept a doubleheader from Danville by scores of 3-1 and 8-5. Estarlyn Morales had four hits in the two games. Catcher Wayne Taylor had three hits and four RBI in the two games. Game 1 starter Dan Missaki pitched all seven innings, giving up one run on five hits with a walk and six strikeouts. Game 2 starter Pat Peterson was outstanding, pitching six shutout innings, giving up two hits and striking out 10 while walking two.
- From the report: OF Arby Fields has hit safely in 10 of his last 11 games, batting .378 (14×37) with 5 runs scored, 2 doubles, 2 triples, 2 home runs, 5 RBI, 6 walks and 5 stolen bases. RH Rohn Pierce has not allowed a run over his last 12.2 innings in relief (4 G).
Rookie League Arizona
- From the report: RH Osmel Morales is 3-1 with a 1.13 ERA (3 ER, 24.0 IP) over his last 6 games/3 starts. During this stretch he has limited opponents to a .198 (17×86) average, while walking 6 and striking out 37. He did not allow a run over a season-high 16.1 innings, from the 3rd inning on July 17-Aug. 13. OF Hersin Martinez has hit safely in 5 of his last 7 games, batting .400 (10×25) with 4 runs scored, 2 doubles, 3 RBI and 2 walk.
[do action=”custom_iframe” url=”http://www.scribd.com/embeds/237315776/content?start_page=1&view_mode=scroll&access_key=key-84clOcsGn5XxI45qz9tC&show_recommendations=true” data-auto-height=”false” data-aspect-ratio=”0.7729220222793488″ scrolling=”no” id=”doc_12695″ width=”100%” height=”600″ frameborder=”0″” width=”630″ height=”500″ scrolling=””/]