Here is today’s Mariners’ minor league round-up, which offers the team’s official minor league report from Kelly Munro that features, notes, stats and box scores. There are also game results on all of the organization’s minor league affiliates that were in action.
Sorry about the lack of blog post yesterday, the Jack Zduriencik extension announcement kind of sidetracked me.
I tweeted it out yesterday, but six players were selected for the Arizona Fall League.
- DJ Peterson
- Patrick Kivlehan
- Matt Brazis
- Stephen Landazuri
- Matt Anderson
- John Hicks
No real surprise on Peterson and Kivlehan. Peterson was scheduled to play last season but suffered the broken jaw. Kivlehan was his replacement for the AFL last season.
Right-handed reliever Trevor Miller has been called up to Class AAA Tacoma to help the pitching depleted Rainiers.
From the release …. Miller, 23, posted a 5-8 record, with a 3.81 ERA (47ER/111.0IP) in 31 games and 13 starts this season. Miller was moved from the starting rotation to the bullpen in June and as a reliever was 2-1, with a 1.40 ERA (7ER/45.0IP), tallying his first 4 saves of his career. Leaving Jackson, Miller has not allowed an earned run in his last 23.1 innings over 10 relief appearances. During this stretch, since July 24, he has limited opponents to a .203 (16×79) average, while walking 4 and striking out 19.
Class AAA Tacoma
The Rainiers won 5-3, but were eliminated from postseason play. Stefen Romero extended his hitting streak to 15 games in the win. Romero went 3-for-5 in the win. Tonight is the final home game of the season for the Rainiers.
- Video of Corey Hart’s double
- Mike Curto’s daily blog post
- From the report: OF Stefen Romero currently has a 15-game hitting streak, batting .477 (31×65) with 15 runs scored, 5 doubles, 2 triples, 5 home runs, 20 RBI, 5 walks and 1 stolen base. Since being optioned to AAA Tacoma on Aug. 1, Romero is batting .427 (35×82) with 17 runs scored, 5 doubles, 2 triples, 7 home runs, 23 RBI, 7 walks and 1 stolen base in 20 games. 1B Justin Smoak has recorded a hit in 14 of his last 16 games, batting .414 (24×58) with 8 runs scored, 6 doubles, 11 RBI and 14 walks. RH Todd Coffey is 4-1 with 10 saves and a 1.83 ERA (7 ER, 34.1 IP) in 33 games this season. He has limited opponents to a .198 (25×126) average, while walking 16 and striking out 31.
Class AA Jackson
The Generals lost 8-2 in their final home game of the season. Patrick Kivlehan and Jordy Lara drove in their two runs.
- From the report: INF D.J. Peterson ranks 3rd among all minor league players wth 104 RBI combined between High Deset and Jackson. He also is T10th in the minor leagues with 28 home runs. INF Jordy Lara ranks among all minor league players in hits (2nd/173), RBI (T5th/102), extra-base hits (5th/68) over 131 games combined between High Desert and Jackson. Over his last 4 starts in August, LH Tyler Olson is 4-1 with a 1.45 ERA (5 ER, 31.0 IP). During this stretch he has limited opponents to a .220 (26×18) average, while walking 5 and striking out 27. After going 3-5 with a 4.56 ERA (36 ER, 71.0 IP) over his first 13 AA starts, Olson is 6-2 with a 2.47 ERA (13 ER, 47.1 IP) over his last 8 starts. LH Kyle Hunter has allowed only 1 run over his last 24.0 innings (0.38 ERA). During this stretch, since July 16, Hunter has limited opponents to a .190 (16×84) average, while walking 6 and striking 12. RH Trevor Miller has not allowed an earned run in his last 23.2 innings over his last 10 relief appearances. During this stretch, since July 24, he has limited opponents to a .203 (16×79) average, while walking 4 and striking out 19.
- Game notes and lineups
Class A High Desert
After taking a 5-3 lead, the Mavs gave up nine unanswered runs in 12-5 loss. Gabby Guerrer was 1-for-3 with a triple in the loss.
- From the report: OF Jabari Henry has hit 6 home runs in his last 13 games and 16 in 52 games since July 1. His 30 home runs this season currently are the most among all Mariners farmhands and rank 7th among all minor league players. RH Andrew Kittredge is averaging 12.37 strikeouts per 9.0 innings over 40 relief appearances with High Desert (109 SO/79.1 IP). Ovearall this season he has struck out a career-high 114 batters in 86.1 innings combined between High Desert (109), Jackson (3) and Everett (2) in 44 appearances.
Class A Clinton
The LumberKings split a doubleheader with Peoria, winning the first game 7-5 and losing 7-0 in the nightcap
- From the report: INF Joe DeCarlo has hit safely in 19 of his last 21 games, batting .360 (27×75) with 12 runs scored, 8 doubles, 1 home run, 11 RBI and 5 walks. OF Aaron Barbosa has hit safely in 7 of his last 9 games, batting .343 (12×35) with 4 runs scored, 1 double, 3 RBI, 3 walks and 6 stolen bases. INF Nelson Ward currently has a 6-game hit streak, batting .316 (6×19) with 2 runs scored, 1 double, 1 walk and 1 stolen bases. LH Paul Fry has not allowed a run over his last 10.0 innings in relief (7 G). Since July 12, Fry is 3-1 with 1 save and a 0.68 ERA (2 ER, 26.1 IP) over his last 17 relief appearances.
Short A Everett
The Aqua Sox scored three run in the top of the ninth to rally for a 4-2 win over Boise. Sheehan Plans-Arteaga, Andy Peterson and Phillips Castillo all drove in runs in the inning.
- From the report: OF NOTE: RH Daniel Altavilla is 5-1 with a 3.34 ERA (13 ER, 35.0 IP) in his last 5 starts, after going 0-2 with a 6.48 ERA (18 ER, 25.0 IP) in his first 7 career starts (6/17-7/19). LHP Ryan Yarbrough has allowed only 8 hits and not allowed an earned run (1 R) in his last 20.0 innings (6 GS). Overall with Everett he is 0-1 with a 1.29 ERA (5 ER, 34.0 IP), while walking 3 and striking out 49 in 11 games/9 starts. OF Phillips Castillo has hit safely in his last 4 games, batting .462 (6×13) with 2 runs scored, 1 double, 1 home run, 5 RBI and 1 walk.
Rookie League Pulaski
The M’s won 9-8. Arby Fields went 4-for-5 with a triple and three runs scored. Wayne Taylor went 3-for-3 with a homer.
- From the report: OF Arby Fields has hit safely in 13 of his last 16 games, batting .396 (21×53) with 11 runs scored, 3 doubles, 3 triples, 3 home runs, 7 RBI, 8 walks and 7 stolen bases. INF Rafael Fernandez has hit safely in 8 of his last 9 games, batting .393 (11×28) with 7 runs scored, 1 double, 2 RBI, 2 walks and 2 stolen bases. OF Wayne Taylor has hit safely in 10 of his last 11 games, batting .429 (15×35) with 10 runs scored, 4 doubles, 2 home runs, 9 RBI, 8 walks and 1 stolen base. INF Tom Verdi is batting .333 (7×21) with 7 runs scored, 2 RBI and 2 walks over his last 6 games.
Rookie League Arizona
The Mariners won 4-2, scoring three runs in the final three innings.
- From the report: RH Osmel Morales is 4-0 with a 0.75 ERA (2 ER, 24.0 IP) over his last 6 games/3 starts. During this stretch he has limited opponents to a .173 (14×81) average, while walking 8 and striking out 36. He did not allow a run over a season-high 16.1 innings, from the 3rd inning on July 17-Aug. 13 RH Ronald Dominguez has not allowed a run over his last 16.2 innings in relief (6 G). During this stretch he is 4-0 with 1 save, while walking 4 and striking out 13. Overall this season he is 5-1 with 2 saves and a 0.43 ERA (2 ER, 42.1 IP) in 17 relief appearances. He has limited opponents to a .153 (21×137) average, while walking 11 and striking out 36. RH Jose Santiago is 4-1 with a 0.95 ERA (3 ER, 28.1 IP) in 5 starts in August. Overall with the AZL Mariners, Santiago is 5-1 with a 2.80 ERA (14 ER, 45.0 IP) in 9 games/8 starts.
Minor league report
[do action=”custom_iframe” url=”http://www.scribd.com/embeds/237919313/content?start_page=1&view_mode=scroll&access_key=key-t9JPU009UbREU7JYadNM&show_recommendations=true” data-auto-height=”false” data-aspect-ratio=”0.7729220222793488″ scrolling=”no” id=”doc_54711″ width=”100%” height=”600″ frameborder=”0″” width=”630″ height=”500″ scrolling=””/]