Follow us:

Mariners blog

Daily coverage of the Mariners during the season and all year long.

October 23, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Robinson Cano, Kyle Seager and Felix Hernandez named finalists for Rawlings’ Gold Glove awards

AP photo

AP photo

The finalists for the Rawlings Gold Glove awards were announced on Thursday morning. The Mariners had two finalist – both of whom have legitimate chances to win the award. The company created the awards in 1957Winners are chosen by a survey a player and managers, which make up 75 percent of the decision and the Society for Sabermetric Reasearch for the other 25 percent.

The award winners will be announced on Nov. 4.

Robinson Cano was named a finalist at second base along with Boston’s Dustin Pedroia and Detroit’s Ian Kinsler. Cano has won the award in 2010 and 2012. Pedroia won the award in 2011 and 2013.

Here’s the defensive ratings from Fangraphs for AL second baseman.

Screen Shot 2014-10-23 at 10.23.10 AM

 

*

Obviously, defensive metrics have their limitations. And I don’t know how much players and managers actually use them in determining the awards. And while the awards are supposed to be based on defense, a player’s offensive numbers come into play. It’s why JJ Hardy beat out Brendan Ryan in 2012.

While Cano will be vying for his third award, Kyle Seager will be looking to win his first award at third base. Joining him as finalists are Adrian Beltre of the Rangers and Josh Donaldson of the A’s. .

Screen Shot 2014-10-23 at 10.39.49 AM

***

Seager’s growth as a defensive third baseman has been significant over his brief career. His footwork and consistency have progressed to the point where he’s automatic on routine plays and also more than capable of making the great plays.

They will trying to be the first Mariners players to win the award since Franklin Gutierrez and Ichiro Suzuki won the award in 2010.

Felix Hernandez was named a finalist for the pitcher award along with Mark Buerhle and Dallas Keuchel. Never thought of Hernandez as a great defensive pitcher, but perhaps he’s better than expected.

Here’s the list of AL Finalists  (Lorenzo Cain got snubbed)

  • P – Mark Buehrle (TOR), Felix Hernandez (SEA), Dallas Keuchel (HOU)
  • C – Alex Avila (DET), Yan Gomes (CLE), Salvador Perez (KC)
  • 1B – Miguel Cabrera (DET), Eric Hosmer (KC), Albert Pujols (LAA)
  • 2B – Robinson Cano (SEA), Ian Kinsler (DET), Dustin Pedroia (BOS)
  • 3B – Adrian Beltre (TEX), Josh Donaldson (OAK), Kyle Seager (SEA)
  • SS – Alcides Escobar (KC), J.J. Hardy (BAL), Alexei Ramirez (CWS)
  • LF – Michael Brantley (CLE), Yoenis Cespedes (BOS), Alex Gordon (KC)
  • CF – Jackie Bradley, Jr. (BOS), Adam Eaton (CWS), Adam Jones (BAL)
  • RF – Kole Calhoun (LAA), Kevin Kiermaier (TB), Nick Markakis (BAL)

Here’s the NL Finalists

  • P – Zack Greinke (LAD), Clayton Kershaw (LAD), Adam Wainwright (STL)
  • C – Jonathan Lucroy (MIL), Russell Martin (PIT), Yadier Molina (STL)
  • 1B – Adrian Gonzalez (LAD), Adam LaRoche (WSH), Justin Morneau (COL)
  • 2B – DJ LeMahieu (COL), Brandon Phillips (CIN), Chase Utley (PHI)
  • 3B – Nolan Arenado (COL), Pablo Sandoval (SF), Juan Uribe (LAD)
  • SS – Zack Cozart (CIN), Adeiny Hechavarria (MIA), Andrelton Simmons (ATL)
  • LF – Starling Marte (PIT), Justin Upton (ATL), Christian Yelich (MIA)
  • CF – Billy Hamilton (CIN), Juan Lagares (NYM), Denard Span (WSH)
  • RF – Jason Heyward (ATL), Gerardo Parra (MIL), Giancarlo Stanton (MIA)

Comments

COMMENTS

No personal attacks or insults, no hate speech, no profanity. Please keep the conversation civil and help us moderate this thread by reporting any abuse. See our Commenting FAQ.



The opinions expressed in reader comments are those of the author only, and do not reflect the opinions of The Seattle Times.


The Seattle Times

The door is closed, but it's not locked.

Take a minute to subscribe and continue to enjoy The Seattle Times for as little as 99 cents a week.

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited seattletimes.com content access is included with most subscriptions.

Subscriber login ►
The Seattle Times

To keep reading, you need a subscription upgrade.

We hope you have enjoyed your complimentary access. For unlimited seattletimes.com access, please upgrade your digital subscription.

Call customer service at 1.800.542.0820 for assistance with your upgrade or questions about your subscriber status.

The Seattle Times

To keep reading, you need a subscription.

We hope you have enjoyed your complimentary access. Subscribe now for unlimited access!

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited seattletimes.com content access is included with most subscriptions.

Activate Subscriber Account ►