Follow us:

Microsoft Pri0

Welcome to Microsoft Pri0: That's Microspeak for top priority, and that's the news and observations you'll find here from Seattle Times technology reporter Matt Day.

July 11, 2006 at 11:39 AM

Vista, Windows 98 and Zune

Bill Gates is a glass-half-full kind of guy, saying there’s an 80 percent chance Vista will be ready by January. Of course, you could look at that as a 20 percent chance the operating system will be delayed yet again….

If you use Windows 98, it just might be time to move on.

The latest rumor is that the company’s upcoming media player will be called the Zune. No confirmation from Microsoft, of course, but it appears that a company in Spain owns the domain name for Zune.com. (Nothing on that page, though). If that is the name, expect that Microsoft will have focus-groupped the thing for months in countries around the world. The company underwent similar painstaking research for every aspect of the Xbox 360.

In not-so-related news, Google is looking to build a research center in Michigan that could have as many as 1,000 employees.

Comments | More in Microsoft

COMMENTS

No personal attacks or insults, no hate speech, no profanity. Please keep the conversation civil and help us moderate this thread by reporting any abuse. See our Commenting FAQ.



The opinions expressed in reader comments are those of the author only, and do not reflect the opinions of The Seattle Times.


The Seattle Times

The door is closed, but it's not locked.

Take a minute to subscribe and continue to enjoy The Seattle Times for as little as 99 cents a week.

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited seattletimes.com content access is included with most subscriptions.

Subscriber login ►
The Seattle Times

To keep reading, you need a subscription upgrade.

We hope you have enjoyed your complimentary access. For unlimited seattletimes.com access, please upgrade your digital subscription.

Call customer service at 1.800.542.0820 for assistance with your upgrade or questions about your subscriber status.

The Seattle Times

To keep reading, you need a subscription.

We hope you have enjoyed your complimentary access. Subscribe now for unlimited access!

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited seattletimes.com content access is included with most subscriptions.

Activate Subscriber Account ►