The Associated Press
A daily look at breaking news, upcoming events and stories that will be talked about today:
1. URGENCY IN CAMPAIGN’S FINAL STRETCH: In the busiest single day of his re-election campaign, the president will cover 5,300 miles, as Romney casts the race as moving his way.
2. HIGH STAKES FOR MICROSOFT AS IT UNVEILS WINDOWS 8: The dramatic overhaul of the operating system may prove Microsoft can still compete or reinforce perceptions that it is falling behind. One of the biggest challenges for Microsoft: getting developers to write apps.
3. KING STEERS JORDAN THROUGH TURBULENCE: King Abdullah has managed to fend off domestic challenges for 22 months, but growing opposition and a foiled al-Qaida plot mean things are heating up.
4. IT’S OPENING DAY FOR NATION’S FASTEST ROAD: A final stretch of Texas Highway 130 will allow motorists to drive at 85 mph.
5. JAMAICA BRACES FOR A NASTY STORM: Tropical Storm Sandy is expected to be a hurricane when it hits today.
6. COMPARING THE IPAD MINI: The device, with many of the same features as a regular iPad, has a bigger screen but costs more than a Nook or a Kindle Fire. It’s light and comfortable to use.
7. GOOGLE GOES TO THE GRAND CANYON: A backpack-sized device will outdo Street View and Trike to sneak into smaller places such as the trails of the Grand Canyon.
8. OBAMA WANTS WALL STREET TO ALTER PAY INCENTIVES: The president says financial regulation overhaul doesn’t provide enough means to hold risk takers accountable.
9. WHY NORTH KOREANS ARE READING “GONE WITH THE WIND”: The American cultural touchstone has something for everyone in this totalitarian bastion: tortured love, civil war, ruin and starvation.
10. HOW THE WORLD SERIES FOES MATCH UP: It’s the power-packed Tigers against the never-say-die Giants, who have had just one day of rest.