The Associated Press
A daily look at breaking news, upcoming events and stories that will be talked about today:
1. ROMNEY ERASES OBAMA’S ADVANTAGE AMONG WOMEN: An AP-GfK poll finds that the GOP candidate pulled even with the president among women voters, after lagging by 16 points a month ago. And the president, in turn, has largely eliminated Romney’s edge among men.
2. DEBATES IGNORED HIGH-PROFILE ISSUES: Activists on both sides are upset that Obama and Romney didn’t discuss key topics such as foreclosures, gay marriage and climate change.
5. SUPER STORM THREATENS EAST COAST: A hybrid of Hurricane Sandy, which is raking Cuba today, and a winter storm could sweep across the East Coast with gale-force winds, heavy rain and possibly snow next week.
7. TERMINALLY ILL WWII VETERAN DIES AFTER CASTING LAST BALLOT: The 93-year-old’s determination to vote inspired thousands as a photo of him filling his ballot went viral.
8. SIOUX FALLS BRACES FOR MCGOVERN SERVICES: Vice President Biden will be among hundreds honoring the former presidential candidate in his home city. In another big memorial service for South Dakota, the ashes of actor and activist Russell Means will be scattered in the Black Hills.
9. THAIS FLOCKING TO ILLEGAL COSMETIC SURGERY CLINICS: Cheap injections carry the promise of a new face and a better life. They also sometimes come at a hefty health cost.
10. BASEBALL HAS NEW MR. OCTOBER: Pablo Sandoval hits three home runs and joins Jackson, Ruth and Pujols as the only players to do it in the World Series in the Giants’ 8-3 win over Tigers.