The Associated Press
A look at breaking news, upcoming events and stories that will be talked about today:
1. SUPERSTORM NEARS EAST COAST: Sandy, merged with other storm systems, is expected to come ashore Monday night in New Jersey, bringing high winds, soaking rain and a surging wall of water up to 11 feet tall.
2. AIR TRAFFIC COMES TO A NEAR HALT: Thousands of flight cancellations mean passengers are stranded from Hong Kong to Europe.
3. UNLIKELY WORLD SERIES HEROES: Series MVP Pedro Sandoval kicked off the sweep with three home runs in Game 1. Marco Scutaro clinched the victory with his hit in the tenth inning in Game 4.
4. CAMPAIGN’S LAST WEEK A SCHEDULING NIGHTMARE: Obama and Romney are grappling with how to continue campaigning while a massive storm is hitting the nation’s eastern third.
5. WHERE NEWSPAPER ENDORSEMENTS REALLY MATTER: Swing voters pay attention to newspapers’ picks in local and state elections whose candidates and issues don’t get so much coverage.
6. IRANIAN DRONES: Iran has images of sensitive Israeli military bases taken by a drone that was launched by Lebanon’s Hezbollah movement and downed by Israel earlier this month, a senior Iranian lawmaker claimed Monday
7. WHAT ELECTIONS HOLD FOR ISRAEL’S DEFENSE MINISTER: Despite his illustrious political career, Ehud Barak is looking at what many think is a possible end for his ambitions.
8. WHO’S BEST AT KNOWING HOW TO UNPLUG: It just might be tech-industry folks, who take long, unwired vacations and aren’t shy about setting “away” messages.
9. FACEBOOK AND SEX TRAFFICKING: Older men are using Facebook to meet teenagers whom they kidnap, abuse and then traffick as sex slaves within the country and abroad.
10. FOR CATALANS, SOCCER CLUB IS A SYMBOL OF NATIONALISM: Barca carries the dreams of the wealthy northeastern region of Spain as the country’s financial crisis fuels separatist sentiment.