A daily look at news, upcoming events and stories that will be talked about today:
1. AN OFFER TO HOLD FIRE IN GAZA
Israel agrees to suspend its offensive while the Egyptian premier visits, but Palestinians keep firing rockets.
2. WOUNDED VETERANS JUMP OUT OF A FREIGHT TRAIN’S PATH
Four people died when the Texas parade float was hit at a railroad crossing.
3. HOW LONG IS TOO LONG TO TURN THE POWER BACK ON
Power came back after Sandy a little faster than to victims of other storms.
4. “FISCAL CLIFF” SHOWDOWN AT THE WHITE HOUSE
The president meets congressional leaders facing a tricky path to compromise.
5. WHAT $4.5 BILLION OIL SPILL SETTLEMENT MEANS FOR BP’S BOTTOM LINE
It may sound like a lot – but consider that the British oil giant made $5.5 billion in one quarter.
6. PETRAEUS SPEAKS, BUT NOT ON SEX SCANDAL
The former CIA director testified in Congress about the Sept. 11 attack on the Libyan U.S. Consulate.
7. HARDLY A MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR
Lost Beatles fans looking for the famous Abbey Road often find themselves at a drab train station with the same name.
8. OIL RIG EXPLOSION
Coast Guard officials said an oil rig exploded off the coast of Louisiana, sending four people to hospitals. Two were believed to be missing.
9. JESSE & JOY ALMOST SWEEP LATIN GRAMMYS
The Mexican brother-sister duo and their pop hit `Corre!’ win four awards, but lose best album to Colombian rockero Juanes.
10. THE END OF TWINKIES?
Hostess Brands moves to liquidate after a strike.