July 16, 2013 at 6:54 AM
Fire on Beacon Hill
Thanks to compassionate firefighters, residents
I lived in the apartment below the explosion that caused Wednesday morning’s apartment fire in Beacon Hill. [“Butane gas in refrigerator caused explosion, fire on Beacon Hill,” seattletimes.com, July 10.]
The nine hours following the blast were a blur, but throughout every moment, the fire department, Red Cross volunteers, our neighbors, King County Metro workers and others made sure that despite losing my home, I did not feel forgotten or without hope.
Seattle’s firefighters must deal with fires like this all the time, but that did not stop them from taking every possible measure to protect belongings inside and, more importantly, to display an incredible compassion for all of us affected.
I cannot say how greatly I appreciate my upstairs neighbor, who very likely saved multiple lives by running throughout the building, stomping, shouting and banging on walls to get everyone out.
I also want to acknowledge the firefighters who arrived almost instantly and who displayed incredible concern and compassion; our apartment manager who tracked down every resident in the building to make sure they had evacuated safely and who is coordinating all the recovery efforts; and to our neighbors who offered their showers, pantries, and clothing.
Thank you so much!
Jeff Jorgensen, Seattle
Trending with readers