Follow us:

Northwest Voices

Seattle Times letters to the editor

June 10, 2014 at 6:02 AM

Student debt: We’ve broken the covenant for future generations

Regarding recent coverage of student debt in The Times and in many other publications, it is interesting that nothing is said about the root cause of the problem ["Prodding Congress, Obama acts to ease student debt," Nation & World, June 9].

When my father attended college in Washington state in the 1930s, the taxpayers paid about 80 percent of the cost of educating a student, with tuition making up the remaining 20 percent. The breakdown was similar when I attended UW in the 1970s. Starting around 1980, that ratio started to change, so that it has now flipped, with the state (taxes) paying around 30 percent of the cost.

For generations, we paid our parents’ generation back for our education by paying forward for the next generation’s education. We’ve broken that intergenerational covenant, and are now saying, “Our taxes are too high, so we’re no longer going to pay back for what we received.”

Our children are reaping the bitter fruit of what Tim Eyman, the tea party, and 30 years of Reaganomics have sown. All the money has flowed to the top, and left us feeling too poor to pay forward to educate the next generation. Shame on all of us.

Al Johnson, Seattle

Comments | More in Student debt | Topics: student debt, tea party, Tim Eyman

COMMENTS

No personal attacks or insults, no hate speech, no profanity. Please keep the conversation civil and help us moderate this thread by reporting any abuse. See our Commenting FAQ.



The opinions expressed in reader comments are those of the author only, and do not reflect the opinions of The Seattle Times.


Advertising
The Seattle Times

The door is closed, but it's not locked.

Take a minute to subscribe and continue to enjoy The Seattle Times for as little as 99 cents a week.

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited seattletimes.com content access is included with most subscriptions.

Subscriber login ►
The Seattle Times

To keep reading, you need a subscription upgrade.

We hope you have enjoyed your complimentary access. For unlimited seattletimes.com access, please upgrade your digital subscription.

Call customer service at 1.800.542.0820 for assistance with your upgrade or questions about your subscriber status.

The Seattle Times

To keep reading, you need a subscription.

We hope you have enjoyed your complimentary access. Subscribe now for unlimited access!

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited seattletimes.com content access is included with most subscriptions.

Activate Subscriber Account ►