Seattle and San Francisco’s football teams play Sunday for the NFC championship title. Clearly, the Seahawks should win. Here are my reasons below.
And check out San Francisco Chronicle editorial writer Marshall Kilduff’s reasons in an Opinion Shop blog post on why the 49ers should win.
Thank you to the Hawks fans who helped me come up with this top 10 list.
1. The coach doth protest too much. A coach that whines as much as 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh should play futbol instead of football. As in soccer.
2. 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick kisses his own biceps. His pet tortoise is endearing. Making out with one’s arm is not. San Francisco fans should just admit they are embarrassed by the celebration ritual. It’s so SoCal.
3. For short people everywhere. The five-foot-ten Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson was deemed too short to play quarterback.
4. Speaking of “Lord of the Rings,” nerds rule. Russell Wilson burying his head in a binder on the sidelines is inspiration to nerds everywhere.
5. Seahawks coach Pete Carroll. His mottos are pretty good. Always compete? Earn everything? Be early, it’s a sign of respect? These are philosophies Tiger Mom can get behind.
6. To make up for 2006, when the Seahawks lost to the Steelers in the Super Bowl.
7. The San Francisco 49ers have already won five Super Bowls. Their fans would be insufferable if they won six.
8. Let us win this game and we’ll keep our Sasquatch hands off the Sacramento Kings NBA team.
9. Seahawks don’t have to send instructions to the 12th Man on how to be a fan. Leading up to the Seattle-San Francisco game in December, the 49ers sent instructions to fans about how to cheer. Hint: “Wear red!” Check out the letter on Deadspin.
10. Local ownership. Paul Allen could have sold the Seahawks to out-of-town buyers, like Howard Schultz and his merry band of investors did with the Seattle Sonics basketball team. He held on. That ownership should be rewarded.
Kilduff and I also faced off in December the last time the Seahawks played the 49ers in the blog post “Seattle v. San Francisco showdown: Which city is better?”
Also, our letters to the editor blog Northwest Voices is holding a caption-writing contest for a Pete Carroll-Jim Harbaugh photo. We’ll print the best one.
seahawks | Topics: