In this week’s Northwest 11 men’s basketball rankings, it’s gone from the (slightly) sublime to the ridiculous, or a matter of which teams committed the least sins recently. Gonzaga stays on top despite a dispiriting loss at Memphis — partly because there’s nobody else that can realistically lay claim to surpassing the Zags. In fact, once you get past Gonzaga and its 1-1 week (with a nervous home win against Portland), the next six teams in the ratings went 0-11.
If you want to conclude that it’s not such a banner year for Northwest basketball, by all means, go ahead.
- Gonzaga (21-4) . . . Two deadly dry spells cost win at Memphis
- Boise State (15-9) . . . After SDSU gut-wrencher, repeat NCAA trip looks like a stretch
- Oregon (15-8) . . . Well, somebody’s gotta be third
- Washington (13-11) . . . Allowed .574 shooting on mountain trip
- Oregon State (13-10) . . . Back in accustomed, sub-.500 league position
- Portland (13-11) . . . Almost pulled a repeat of Gonzaga upset
- Washington State (9-14) . . . Lately, Lacy, Shelton and not much else
- Portland State (11-10) . . . Dropped two close ones at Montanas
- Eastern Washington (10-13) . . . G Tyler Harvey has hit 50 of last 54 free throws
- Idaho (10-14) . . . Surprise win over New Mexico State keyed weekend sweep
- Seattle U. (11-11) . . . Faltered in front of better crowd vs. NM State