October 11, 2012 at 10:42 AM
Nordstrom issues email in support of gay marriage
The Associated Press
Upscale department store chain Nordstrom Inc. has joined a number of Pacific Northwest businesses in expressing support for gay marriage.
The Seattle-based company sent out an email Thursday morning to its 56,000 employees, saying “is our belief that our gay and lesbian employees are entitled to the same rights and protections marriage provides under the law as all other employees.”
The letter was signed by Nordstrom executives and brothers Blake, Pete and Erik Nordstrom.
Referendum 74, to be voted on next month, asks voters to either approve or reject a law passed earlier this year allowing gay marriage in Washington state. That law is on hold pending the November vote.
Nordstrom joins other companies that have publicly supported same-sex marriage, including Amazon, Microsoft Corp., Starbucks Corp. and Nike Inc.
- Ed Murray names deputies, other high-profile hires
- Gun-rights groups dominate in money to state’s politicians
- Sen. Patty Murray: Budget deal will restore public trust in Congress
- State Senate majority plans to pick up where it left off last session
- Gov. Jay Inslee named finance chair for Democratic Governors Association
About this blog
Trending with readers