October 23, 2012 at 11:03 AM
Bill and Melinda Gates donate $500K to gay marriage campaign
Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates and his wife, Melinda, have donated $500,000 to the campaign to legalize gay marriage in Washington state.
The contribution – $250,000 from each of the Gateses – comes with two weeks left in the campaign season and is in addition to $100,000 that Bill Gates donated to Washington United for Marriage in June.
The donation brings the amount the campaign has raised to just under $11 million, according to records filed with the Public Disclosure Commission.
Washington voters are being asked to either approve or reject gay marriage through Referendum 74, which appears on the Nov. 6 ballot.
Most Washingtonians have already received their ballots in the mail and some have already mailed them in.
- Anti-DUI work group: Yes to random checkpoints, no to alcohol bans
- Pedersen likely to fill Murray’s state Senate seat; Walkinshaw in line for House
- Murray heads off to mayor’s school
- Pro-coal alliance fires spokeswoman after hot mic incident
- Huge win for Seattle council districts; narrow loss for public financing
About this blog
Trending with readers