November 6, 2012 at 9:50 PM
Gregoire: Same-sex marriage “the civil rights issue of this generation”
(Video by Bettina Hansen / The Seattle Times)
At a party celebrating the early lead of Ref. 74, more than a thousand people packed a ballroom and hallway.
They cheered as Gov. Christine Gregoire credited her daughter and son in law for changing her mind on same-sex marriage.
“They told me this was the civil rights issue of this generation,” she said.
She said that with the passage of same-sex marriage measures in Maryland and Maine, as well, that it was just a matter of time before same-sex marriage would be legal nationwide.
“This is our civil rights movement of today,” Gregoire said.
- State climate panel melts down
- Anti-DUI work group: Yes to random checkpoints, no to alcohol bans
- Pedersen likely to fill Murray’s state Senate seat; Walkinshaw in line for House
- Murray heads off to mayor’s school
- Pro-coal alliance fires spokeswoman after hot mic incident
About this blog
Trending with readers