November 6, 2012 at 10:15 PM
Voters agree to legalize pot
UPDATE 10:15 p.m.
Washington voters have voted to legalize recreational use of marijuana.
Initiative 502 held a commanding lead in initial vote counts, with overwhelming support in King County, and the measure was passing in other urban Puget Sound counties Pierce, Spokane and other counties.
One ounce of marijuana will be legal as of Dec. 6, and the state will begin a year-long process of creating a closed, tightly regulated and heavily taxed market for recreational marijuana sales at state-licensed retail shops.
Marijuana legalization was passed in Colorado, based on an analysis by the Associated Press.
Neither state measure affects the federal ban on marijuana, creating a conflict that could potentially be resolved in court.
- Gov. Jay Inslee named finance chair for Democratic Governors Association
- State climate panel melts down
- Anti-DUI work group: Yes to random checkpoints, no to alcohol bans
- Pedersen likely to fill Murray’s state Senate seat; Walkinshaw in line for House
- Murray heads off to mayor’s school
About this blog
Trending with readers