November 9, 2012 at 10:02 AM
Watkins concedes state auditor race to Kelley
James Watkins, the Republican candidate for state auditor, conceded the race to Democratic Rep. Troy Kelley on Friday.
“It does not appear that I will prevail in my run for State Auditor,” Watkins said in a statement. “It is my sincere hope that Troy Kelley has a successful term and capably fills the vacuum left by Brian Sonntag.”
Sonntag, the current state auditor, is retiring.
Kelley, D-University Place, was ahead of Watkins, 52 to 48 percent, in Thursday’s vote.
The auditor’s office conducts financial and legal compliance audits of state and local government, and also tries to find efficiencies in state government.
- Ed Murray names deputies, other high-profile hires
- Gun-rights groups dominate in money to state’s politicians
- Sen. Patty Murray: Budget deal will restore public trust in Congress
- State Senate majority plans to pick up where it left off last session
- Gov. Jay Inslee named finance chair for Democratic Governors Association
About this blog
Trending with readers