Robert Mak, whose half-hour Sunday political show on KING-TV was canceled after 11 years, confirmed Tuesday he opted to leave the station rather than accept its offer to stay on as chief political reporter.
“I appreciate the offer to stay, and after considering it seriously I simply decided it was time to start something new,” Mak said.
Mak said he hopes to stay in Seattle and in journalism. “I have a lot of ideas and interests that I would like to pursue, but I’m keeping an open mind,” he said.
The final “Up Front with Robert Mak” aired Sunday
When KING last month announced the cancellation of the Emmy-winning show, Executive News Director Mark Ginther attributed it to an advertising slowdown that forced cuts throughout the station.
Ginther said the news staff was being cut by seven positions, through a combination of layoffs and not filling vacant jobs.
Mak had been with KING since 1992 except for a two-year hiatus working for former Mayor Greg Nickels
On his weekly show, Mak regularly interviewed top elected leaders and other newsmakers, moderated candidate debates and dealt with some of the region’s thorniest political and social issues.
Mak said he’s thankful for the chance to work with “talented and wonderful people” at KING. “And I’m forever thankful to the viewers who shared a half-hour of their valuable time with us every Sunday.”