February 4, 2013 at 7:00 AM
About 30 people apply for open Port of Seattle seat
About 30 people applied to be appointed to a vacant seat on the Port of Seattle Commission. The deadline was Friday to submit an online application. One of the applicants will be appointed to the seat left vacant by Gael Tarleton, who was elected state representative. Voters will select a commissioner in November 2013, but the winner of the appointment will have nine months or so in office until then.
Today, commissioners will narrow the list to 20 applicants, who will be invited to give three-minute presentations at Tuesday’s Port Commission meeting. From there, the commission will narrow the field to six, and select a new commissioner in March.
Former City Council member Jan Drago said last week she applied, and Courtney Gregoire, the daughter of former Gov. Chris Gregoire, also has applied. Courtney Gregoire was appointed in November by her mom to the board of trustees for the state’s community colleges.
The entire list of applicants is on the Port web site.
- KING 5 poll: McGinn, Murray and Steinbrueck lead tight race for mayor
- Gun-control group putting ads on Metro Transit buses
- Tim Burgess quits Seattle mayor’s race
- Washington tea party group says it was among those targeted by IRS
- State Senate panel OK’s changes to DUI laws
About this blog
Trending with readers